CNC Router Cuts Wrong

We are using WINCNC. Is there something better?

We have a Warthog CNC router, but the manufacturer's tech support isn't helping us very well. We checked the resolution and backlash compensation, but our cuts are out of the path at at the entry and withdraw points of the lines. A straight line looks like this ) | | | | ) The "out of Round" appears to be one degree and is always on the same side.

Also, parallel lines cut in the same direction are properly spaced. If the lines are cut opposite directions, then they are off by about

1/16th of an inch

My boss insisits nothing is loose and the bearings should be good

Please e-mail, too. thank you! snipped-for-privacy@archcasings.com

Reply to
cnc

I'm no expert, but my initial feeling would be that it is torque/flex related. Does the deflection vary with feed rate?

Reply to
Robatoy

| Also, parallel lines cut in the same direction are properly spaced. | If the lines are cut opposite directions, then they are off by about | 1/16th of an inch

My first guess would have been "play" in the system somewhere.

These behaviors may indicate that your router bit isn't sharp (and, secondarily, that your feed rate may be too high).

Morris Dovey

Tooling comp offsets the cutter depending on which direction you are cutting. There are codes for comp left and comp right and the tool diameter is set in there somewhere. For example, if you use tooling comp left and cut a 1" diameter circle clockwise, you will cut a hole in the wood that is

1" plus 2 X the cutter diameter, but the disc cutout would be 1". If you used the same settings and cut the circle CCW, the hole would be 1" diameter.

I don't know anything about WINCNC, I use Bobcad/cam for my CNC mill. I can draw a part (or import), generate the code, and send it to my mill all from within Bobcad.

Reply to
RogerN