cnc milling machine

hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has anyone ever used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the speed is only 3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would like to asked a few question before buying one thanks gilles snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:26:38 -0800, "gilles"

it's not really a problem I do it all the time. You can use any speed if you are not cutting the edges. just use HSS endmills. you want to rig up dc so the dust does not get where it should not. it does not really fly around though. but what are you trying to do? maybe a cnc router would do it better?
Steve knight wrote:

Also, 3000 RPM would be a limit for an old CNC knee mill or similar, any newer VMC has a much higher top RPM.
Pete C.
Here's one important item on my "If I Ever Hit The Lotto" gotta-have list. <g>
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9959
-- Mark
gilles (in CoLgh.23206$ snipped-for-privacy@wagner.videotron.net) said:
| hello every one i am looking to purchase a milling macine has | anyone ever used a milling machine to cut wood with i know that the | speed is only 3000rpm if anybody has one please email me i would | like to asked a few question before buying one thanks | gilles snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
I have two CNC routers in my shop - and haven't ever used a CNC milling machine for wood - but would guess that 3000 RPM would be a marginal spindle speed even with 4-fluted cutters. I'd suggest trying it out before spending your money.
On the other hand, you can probably build your own CNC router for wood and plastic (and occasional use for aluminum and brass) for much less than you can buy most used milling machines. There's a link below to pictures of a small machine that I built in my shop...
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/JBot.html

the only issue with rpms is cutting the edge grain. slower rpms can peel off chunks of wood. but there are ways around that. other then that you can go as slow as you want. purpleheart machines great. I have not tried softwoods though. but I can do it at 80 rpms as long as I am really careful on the edge grain.
I do maple on a Matsuura VMC on a regular basis (some kind of helicopter part). Generally run no faster than 3000 rpm to prevent burn marks. The largest cutter I use is a 1.25 inch 6 flute. Run that one at about 2000. Spindle speed is of little importance. Feed rate is everything. Never having been around a CNC router, I don't have any idea what kind of feed rates you guys run. Can't imagine it would be fast enough to have a reasonably heavy chip load.

CW (in TVghh.480$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net) said:
| I do maple on a Matsuura VMC on a regular basis (some kind of | helicopter part). Generally run no faster than 3000 rpm to prevent | burn marks. The largest cutter I use is a 1.25 inch 6 flute. Run | that one at about 2000. Spindle speed is of little importance. Feed | rate is everything. Never having been around a CNC router, I don't | have any idea what kind of feed rates you guys run. Can't imagine | it would be fast enough to have a reasonably heavy chip load.
I feed 1/4" 3-flute bits at 90 inch/min and 14000 RPM in rock maple.
Nice. I see you do pay attention to chipload.