cmt router bits

Going to try the cmt raised panel set. Has anyone used these bits and do you have to use a fence with these bits or can you just use a starting pin on the router table?

TIA john

Reply to
John

Use the fence.

In my experience CMT makes excellent bits, a tiny tick better than Freud, slightly below Whiteside in quality.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

A fence is a must.

Use feather boards as well.

1/8" passes with a final pass of less then 1/16".

Adhere to manufactures recommended speed setting. I use the Freud bits , they say not to exceed 12,000rpm.

Don't try this free handed.

Reply to
Nicky

For straight cuts use the fence and be sure to start with the large bearing for the shallow cut. I made zero clearance inserts out of MDF for all my rail, stile, and RP bits.

For arched panels, clamp a straight board in front of the starting pin for additional support. You'll have to make a continuous pass around "the corner" from the left edge of the raised panel to the arch in order not to get a massive kick-back and tear-out at the left corner of the arch. It's nigh impossible to start at the corner because of the tendency of the corner to catch. DAMHITK. When you finish the arch, you can stop the cut and then position the right side of the panel next to the straight edge and cut it separately. Same holds true for the bottom of the panel.

Dave

John wrote:

Reply to
David

Fence for straight cuts, pin for radius cuts. Get the Sommerfeld video. All that and everything else is covered very well.

-- Bill Pounds

Pounds on Wood