close call

Even careful people can get burned. I was back in the shop tonight, just a few minutes ago my hand almost hit the TS blade.
I was prepping some wood, and threw the offcut in the bucket, but it missed. I didn't know it landed one step away. I left the saw running while I went to pick up the next piece to rough cut. And that's when I stepped on the offcut rolled my ankle and wound up with my hand inches from disaster.
Some of you may say I should have shut it, but when doing a lot of rough cutting I just grab the next piece... but I get it.
Too close for comfort.. My ankle will be sore tomorrow... when the adrenaline stops pumping.
--
Jeff

Didn't you just say you were putting the SawStop on hold till next year? :-(
Glad you dodged this one if you are serious about a new saw I'd say start shopping for what you want.
"woodchucker" wrote:

Remember, "Haste makes waste"?
Safety is of prime concern
For you it is a hobby. Approach each task that way.
Glad to see you dodged a bullet.
I'm reminded of one of my most basic rules from my sailing days.
When asked when I would arrive at a particular destination, my answer was always the same.
"Whenever I get there, I'll be there, depends on mother nature".
Same with woodworking.
Mother nature is in charge and sometimes she is a bitch.
Take care.
Lew
Glad to hear you avoided the blade, Jeff. I've reached that age where I mentally walk through each step in a TS operation -- router table, too -- as there are too many things that can bite you and they all happen too flippin' fast.
Larry
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:48:28 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

Bill
On 9/18/2013 9:48 PM, woodchucker wrote:

You may wish to consider my solution to cutting many pieces of wood with the same saw setup.
I built a bench that is on wheels. It is the same height as the table on my saw. When doing multiple cuts, I move the bench into a position next to the saw. All I have to do is rotate toward the bench, pick up the piece, rotate back to the saw, make the cut, Rotate back to the bench deposit the newly cut piece and pick up the next. No bending, No major movement. If something falls off of the saw or bench I have to get away from the saw to retrieve it.
This bench also functions as my work bench and has shelves for storage underneath and cabinets in the ends.
When ripping it can be moved to the far side of the saw to accept the boards as it comes off of the saw.
On 9/19/2013 8:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

as it is right now in my storage area.
I have not finished my new finishing area and all the crap is on it.
--
Jeff

Like when a break goes, and the saw is left in the on position. This happens at a worksite with extension cords..... Yes, accidents, usually happen when we are in a hurry. Turning off a saw.......whenever it is not in use, is important. john
"woodchucker" wrote in message
Even careful people can get burned. I was back in the shop tonight, just a few minutes ago my hand almost hit the TS blade.
I was prepping some wood, and threw the offcut in the bucket, but it missed. I didn't know it landed one step away. I left the saw running while I went to pick up the next piece to rough cut. And that's when I stepped on the offcut rolled my ankle and wound up with my hand inches from disaster.
Some of you may say I should have shut it, but when doing a lot of rough cutting I just grab the next piece... but I get it.
Too close for comfort.. My ankle will be sore tomorrow... when the adrenaline stops pumping.
--
Jeff

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:48:28 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

That will wake you up in the morning.
Glad to hear you're ok.
On 9/18/2013 6:48 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I assume you are not using a guard ?
On 9/19/13 9:17 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

Guards don't do much for a handing slipping forward into the blade. I'm surprised how easy this happens when your footing slips.
I believe the non-ability of traditional saw blade guards to protect again this was was of the deciding factors that got so many new laws and regs passed for Gass' saw-stop.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/19/2013 10:17 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

I have a splitter only. I don't think I would use it even with the sawstop unless it sucked up all the dust.
But I don't know, I've never had a riving knife or easily on off unit.
--
Jeff

On 9/19/2013 3:08 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Consider a overhead guard like the Biesemeyer or Delta.
I have Biesemeyer and really use it a lot more than a conventional guard.
http://www.deltamachinery.com/accessories/biesemeyer/item/table-mount-blade-guard?category_idE
or
http://www.deltamachinery.com/accessories/saws/item/34-976

$600?!

$900?!!!
Yikes! I do have the Biesemeyer splitter but they're sure proud of those guards!