Clock veneer repair

Hi...I have a very old Welch column clock c 1865-70 that has one big nasty patch of veneer on the upper left hand side of the top (face)...it is about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long and it is the frst thing you notice on this otherwise really nice old running clock....someone has tried to repair it many years ago and did an awful job.

I want to repair it myself...I have no idea on where to get a piece of Mahogany veneer 2X6 inches or in a small quantity. I have no idea on how to get the veneer to curve to fit the ogee like curve in the case.

Can someone step me through the repair process and give me some tips on where to get veneer... I read that there was self stick veneer out there somewhere. I'd be mighty thankful to ya!

Fred

Reply to
Fred

| Hi...I have a very old Welch column clock c 1865-70 that has one big | nasty patch of veneer on the upper left hand side of the top | (face)...it is about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long and it is the | frst thing you notice on this otherwise really nice old running | clock....someone has tried to repair it many years ago and did an | awful job. | | I want to repair it myself...I have no idea on where to get a piece | of Mahogany veneer 2X6 inches or in a small quantity. I have no | idea on how to get the veneer to curve to fit the ogee like curve | in the case. | | Can someone step me through the repair process and give me some | tips on where to get veneer... I read that there was self stick | veneer out there somewhere. I'd be mighty thankful to ya!

I'm assuming that you're in the Toronto area. Check Lee Valley, Rockler, and WoodCraft Supply catalogs for self-stick veneer.

If you're interested in preserving the antique value of your clock, it might be worth at least talking to a prefessional restorer first.

Morris Dovey

Can anyone else see the problem here?

Learn to veneer by all means (it's not as hard as it's made out). But don't learn to do it on your clock!

If you want an encyclopedia of antique restoration, Bennett's is about the best

Andy Dingley

No offense, Fred, but if you need to ask these questions then you will probably become the source for the second "awful job". I've been doing finsih work (mostly stairs) for 30+ years and I would not assume I could fix that clock as well as a dedicated craftsman. While most folks don't realize it, woodworking is a huge and very specialized field. Veneer work on compound curves is very specialized. Having said that, if you are determined to take on this job, I would suggest getting a hold of some cheaper veneer stock and working with it for a bit before attempting the clock. If you search the net you will find info and articles on the subject.

Good Luck, J

Reply to
Joe Bemier

Thanks, Joe.... I am taking it to a repairman tomorrow and will ask him for an estimate. although I am sure I can fix the small amount of damage...I will ask his advice. Anything will look better than what is already there.

Fred

Joe Bemier wrote:

Reply to
Fred