Clock

I have drawn up some plans for a Grandfather clock I want to build and wanted some suggestions on what type of wood and finishes. All the furniture in our house is light no dark woods as are the floors so I wanted to stay light. any suggestions?

Maple

Or Oak without stain. Jim

Sycamore and chestnut are nice unstained.
FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes!
As this is my most advanced project in my very young woodworking days when you say without stain do you mean just a clear coat of poly? This isnt just a clock it will have curio cabinets on the left and right sides. I was looking at some red oak and that is about what the laminate wood floors in the house look like so I think thats the way I will go, but of course the "boss" gets the final say. If it works out Ill send pictures if not Ill have some firewood for my pit.

Jim

Personally, for the kind of heirloom project you are planning I would go with a good finishing oil and a slathering of beeswax. A clock isn't the type of thing that's going to get hard wear or need to be sealed to much extent.
Try this link to see all kinds of woods - but remember that the coloration on your monitor may not be exactly the same as the graphic.
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/woodsampler.html
FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes!
As far as the wood goes the "BOSS" still likes the red oak, but what is finishing oil?

It's a light oil made for using on bare wood and provides a very natural surface.

Well, it would be nice to have perhaps some nice contrast in your furniture. I agree about the maple, oak, ash. Perhaps beech or sycamore? Either is probably a bit too bland.
Look around at different websites for Gclocks and see what stricks you that will fit. I definitely would stay away from cherry or mahogany. Check with your local lumber merchant and see what they have instock and bring a piece home to see if it will go with your decor.
Good luck.
MJ Wallace