clifton plane iron problem.....

Greetings...
I have been using a #3 Clifton smoother for the past few years, and it has been one of the best planes I have owned, but recently the edge of the iron seems to be crumbling, almost right after honing, the first few passes leaves a wonderful glossy surface to the timber, then the edge seems to fail, it feels like tiny chips are coming from the edge...leaving a surface that looks and feels ragged, with lines left after each pass, I thought it may be grit or dirt left in the ends of the lumber, but my shopmade smoother ( with 1/4" thick Knight Toolworks iron ) leaves no such marks on the same wood, with no chunks missing from the edge...so I am wondering if I have a defective iron, or maybe someone else is having the same trouble...
thanks for your time...
DCH

Might be past the area of the blade that was hardened? If so you might need a new one. If that is true, then they are made to do that, for marketing. I'd replace it with a new A2 blade from Spehar Toolworks, Canadian and great price. It is what I should have done instead of Hock HCS blades at higher cost.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com