Clearing out the crap about the quality of Ridgid tools

I'd like to clear out the crap about Ridgid tools. It seems that a while ago, Ridgid tools weren't any better than Craftsman or Ryobi. Unfortunately, I'm not too aware of the previous line of products because Home Depot opened up in Canada not long ago.

On the other hand, they introduced a new line of powertools recently and based on my first impression, they look much better. In fact, their hammerdril, jig saw and their 6" ROS is made by Metabo in Germany. There's no crap here as far as I'm concerned.

Same thing for their line of nailers which seems to be very well done and comparable to PC if not better.

Their miter saws look very decent, as well as other tools like their impact drivers and cordless drills.

What's your opinion on their line of product? Pro, semi-pro or hobbyist quality?

Thanks,

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

I buy tools one at a time.

There isn't a single product line out there today that I would buy the entire line. Other than battery sharing on cordless stuff, I can't think of a single plus for buying all my tools from one brand. Do you need them to match? For instance, I really like certain Bosch routers, but I like DeWalt cordless drills much better than Bosch. Somebody else might be the exact opposite.

Which tool are you interested in?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I can only comment on what I have experienced and a few observations around me.

I find their line of tools very uneven. A few winners and a few losers. I see a lot of Ridgid cordless drills around when I install one of my solid surface countertops. Cabinet installers, by and large, are a either a fussy bunch on a bunch of 'rammers. My countertops tend to go to a more 'quality' product. Ridgid has disappointed me lately with their laminate trimmers and belt sander.

I always ask questions when I'm out in the field, especially from those installers I have worked with since 1976. Ridgid runs hot and cold there too.

I don't think there is a single brand which wins across the board (keeping pricing out of the discussion for now). Big hitters like Festool, Metabo, AEG, Milwaukee all have a few pieces which make me wonder why they bothered.

Then there are those brands who hit a few high notes (The Makita Sliding mitre saws come to mind..everybody I know who has them love them..) Makita has a few other decent tools as well. I see their 3 1/4" electric hand planers everywhere. ( I bought a Ryobi 3 1/4" planer. Came with spare carbide blades, in a case, and the only one with some hope to hook a vacuum up to it. It does the job for me (sleeps in the van) when I don't feel like lugging my antique Porter Cable VersaPlanar around.

The bulk of my stuff is Milwaukee, with a smattering of Festool and Fein tossed in. Oh.. and before I forget... I have a Ridgid jobsite tablesaw R2400? I'm very pleased with it and I'm aware of its limitations. I'm happy with the 6" ROS as well...that has got to be 'The Find' of the last couple of years.

But...when you factor in cost/value...the whole thing rearranges itself .

Reply to
Robatoy

Do your self a favor and do not be a Brand Loyal consumer when it comes to power tools. "Every one" builds a great tool and "Every one" builds a lousy tool. As you pointed out some of the Ridgid tools are great, IMHO their drills are WAY too heavy.

Reply to
Leon

Hi Greg. I'm a pro and use power tools on a daily basis. Although I'm not completely brand loyal, I tend to buy more Bosch tools lately and have been very pleased with them. I have on occasion in the past purchased Ridgid power tools and my experience has been that you get more bang for the buck factor, but less on the quality side. For example, about 3 1/2 years ago I went to HD to purchase a DeWalt 12" MS. At the store, I also looked at the Ridgid 12" MS and for the same money, the Ridgid came with a nice stand and supposedly had a "lifetime warranty", so I came home with the Ridgid. I was pleased with it for a while, but things went south pretty quickly and the lack of quality became apparent. I should have stuck with the DW, they are tried and true. Same went for their big 5" ROS. It got returned and replaced with the Bosch, which I love. Today, my opinion of Ridgid tools is still being right on par with Ryobi quality, hobbiest to semi-pro rea. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Reply to
Gene T

Thirty years ago, any tool need sent me to Sears. Those days are over. My shop is fully integrated - tools of every color. As you make significant purchases you need to do your homework and hold them in you hand before you dial up Amazon, Woodcraft, Grizzly, Sears or any of the others. There are good on-line resources for tool reviews but remember that many who post reviews want to justify a recent expenditure; or are as mad as hell. You have to be the moderator. It ain't easy but it is still up to you to do your own source selection.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Ridgid USED to make quality tools, in the plumbing area only. Things like pipe threaders, etc. Then the name started being used by Home Cheapo on their STORE BRAND tools. I typically avoid store brand stuff. Buying store brand stuff limits you to that store only. You cant price shop, etc. And those tools are that butt ugly orange too.

Now, has Hitachi gotten in bed with Lowes? I think I have started seeing Hitachi branded stuff there and only there. Shese.

I will not buy store brand stuff (Ridgid, Craftsman and ummm, that's all off the top of my head)

-B

Reply to
No

Ridgid STILL makes quality tools.

Unfortunately, the Ridgid name on the woodworking line isn't actually Ridgid. Quality has been variable and the arrangement w/ the manufacturer has changed at least twice that I know of already.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth