Clear Wood Putty?

Just A Question: First a little background on what I am going to do. I am very new at this... I am making end tables for our sofa and am using pacific frame birch (named by the lumber company). Oh, by the way it is Edensaw and is located in Port Townsend,Wa., They sell mostly exotic species. I love to look at their stock! The wood reminds me of #3 pine heartwood, highly figured and lots of knots.

Ok, I want the knots and figuring and am going to finish them with satin varathane. I need/want to fill the knot holes some as deep as 1/4 inch. I have looked thru the groups for a clear wood putty and what I have found so far is:

  1. Clear shellac sticks
  2. Clear lacquer sticks
  3. Clear two part epoxy
  4. ??? Knox gelatin

Does anyone have any suggestion's on which to use or a better idea?

Any help or idea's would/will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, jaquestion

Reply to
jaq

jaq wrote: > Just A Question: > First a little background on what I am going to do. I am very new at > this... > I am making end tables for our sofa and am using pacific frame birch > (named by the lumber company). > Oh, by the way it is Edensaw and is located in Port Townsend,Wa., They > sell mostly exotic species. I love to look at their stock! > The wood reminds me of #3 pine heartwood, highly figured and lots of > knots. >

Epoxy.

Just make sure whatever you use to overcoat has some UV inhibitors if it is going to be exposed to bright sun for extended periods.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Easiest is polyester resin. It is catalyzed like epoxy but unlike epoxy it isn't fussy about the resin/hardener ratio. Moreover, it sets up hard in minutes rather than hours like epoxy and doesn't shrink like fillers with a solvent. Lots cheaper than epoxy too.

Reply to
dadiOH

jaq wrote: ...

What's this "frame"--a typo for "flame" or??? Can't for the life of me figure out what "Pacific frame" birch might be...

Reply to
dpb

I have no idea what they mean by the term "frame", it has knots as large as 1",bark inclusion (about 3 tenths of it), most of it has dark figuring going from light to a chocolate color,doesn't seem to be rotten but area's look like it. The wood where it is figured remind's me of chocolate and vanalla ice cream put in a trough about 2' long and then partially mixed. I have run some thru my planer (for me a new piece of equipment). Taking off as little as possible it still chips no matter which direction I feed it.

jaq

Reply to
jaq

I used "Thick" CA to fill a knot on the bottom of a chair seat. So clear it took on the knot color when sanded. Not cheap! Use the "Instant Hardener" and watch it set in seconds. Neat stuff.

Jim

Reply to
Woodhead