Cleaning wooden Chess set

Hello,

I have an old wooden chess set (circa 1940s). I think its made out of pine or boxwood.

Its unpainted and the white wooden chess pieces are a bit black from use- fingermark stains.

I thought of cleaning it up a little. What should I use? Warm soap and water?

I also though of rubbing beeswax onto the box to give it a bit of shine and to preserve it. Is that a good idea?

Cheers,

Wylie

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

Wylie:

Suggest you try a bit of alcohol before the soap and water. Paper towel, a bit of rubbing alcohol from the local pharmacy (chemist, if you like), and rub the dirty parts. I can't reccomend beeswax, per se, as carnuba is a lot harder and better protection. Any quality floor wax will gloss it up and protect.

Regards.

Reply to
Tom Banes

Think about taking it to an antique dealer to see if it's worth anything before you mess with it.

I watched a segment of Antiques Roadshow where a woman had a large cabinet the she had refinished. Original finish (cracked varnish)

300,000 $. Refinished value - only 30,000 $.

pete

Reply to
cselby

I'd suggest alcohol for cleaning also, but TEST FIRST ON A HIDDEN AREA!!! If your chess pieces are finished with shellac, the alcohol will soften the shellac and could potentially remove the finish. I'll second the recommendation for carnauba wax - I just finished a toy/puzzle with orange oil/carnauba wax blend and it buffed out very nicely. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Hello,

I don't think its varnished at all. Just plain I think. I'll go and use alcohol but I'll just try it on one piece first.

Cheers,

Yau-ming

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

Andy's absolutely right! Test on the bottom of a piece first! While shellac seems unlikely as a finish for something meant to be handled a lot, you never know. Shoulda thought of that when I initially replied.

An alternative to carnauba is one of the micro-crystalline waxes (I use Renaissance). They are easy to apply and buff and seem impervious to handling.

Regards.

Reply to
Tom Banes