Cleaning up Finger joints

Hello all
I am new to this group.
I have been tinkering around with woodworking for a while and have a question about cleaning up finger joints.
I am using a tenoning jig to cut a two finger box joint on one
3.4 x 1 3/4 piece and the mating 1 finger piece
I have not found a good way to clean up the space between the two finger piece. I was thinking of using a router in a router table but had concerns about keepint eh 14" long piece stable when standing on its end.
Any suggestions?
thanks
Aaron

Hammer and chisel.
Right-angle plywood jig and clamp.

Cut the pieces with a DADO blade OR you can cut them on the router table 14inch long pieces should NOT be a problem on the router table with a good fence, OR clamp a TALL fence on the router table fence
John On 6 Dec 2004 08:21:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@stellent.com wrote:

On 6 Dec 2004 08:21:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@stellent.com wrote:

Well, I may be old school here, but I'd use a good low angle block plane, like a Stanley No. 60 or 65, or any Lie Nielsen low angle block plane will do too. Hone the blade before you begin - and be careful WRT grain direction to prevent tear out. End result will be a finish that will be clearer than anything you'll achieve with sand paper. -Michael