Cleaning 'real' knotty pine paneling

Page 2 of 2
replying to crystalroy82 , Melissah wrote:

I read your post and tried windex. . It worked like a charm!! After cleaning all the wood I polished it with old English lemon oil and it looks beautiful.
Any chance anyone had luck using any of this stuff to remove dark streaks c aused by rain coming through a window? We just bought a house and at some point water leaked through onto the pine paneling through a couple of the w indows. Not sure if it is mildew, but its definitely some kind of dark stre ak. I'm going to try the dollar store cleaner method, but a contractor als o suggested we use something like tilex. Trying to figure out what I shoul d do!
Kathy wrote:

Do the dark streaks extend downward from nails?
--

dadiOH
On 6/4/2016 3:44 PM, kitty wrote:

OMG you have a gallon in your garage right now?????!!!!!!!
Get it out of there right now, this should NEVER be stored in your garage right now.
I have used TSP for many years to remove old grease and grime from old varn ished wood. However, as others have pointed out, you won't want to use TSP unless you are committed to revarnishing what you have cleaned. I have al so used TSP on painted surfaces, but beware, you don't need much elbow grea se or water. Just a damp rag soaked in TSP solution (based on measurements on package) and wrung out well. Too much scrubbing may remove some of the old paint.
TSP is used as a de-glosser before repainting or refinishing old varnish/ur ethane, etc. I am getting ready to put a new finish on my tired knotty pin e. Fortunately, mine is gorgeous except the finish has dulled over time. I am going to clean with TSP and then add a new coat of Urethane.
Hope this helps.

Back in me yute, we had a house that had knotty pine T&G paneling throughout. It was up forever and the fact that my mother smoked cigarettes didn't help the finish...
Wash down with a cloth and Murphy's Oil Soap, a soft brush if necessary and dry it.
Worked well.