Cleaning Power Tools. Solvent?

I was cleaning my benchtop planer yesterday when it occurred to me that I didn't know what solvent was best for removing the pitch and gunk from the rollers and metal parts.
Mineral spirits seemed to work, but left behind a bit of a film.
Denatured alcohol cleaned up the mineral spirits OK, but would it take off the pitch too?
I applied a bit of car wax to the bottom table of the planer to help wood slide through better.
So what do you folks use to clean your woodworking tools?
Anthony
For pitch general goo I put a little mineral spirits on a rag and work it off with my finger tips. Light rust can be rubbed off with a scotchbrite of very fine sandpaper.
I have never used car wax but I have seen some comments that it leaves silicon or other deposits on the wood. I use a product called Slipit that is distributed by Grizzly, and probably others. It comes in a brush-on paste and spray. I use the paste at the suggestion of a Grizzly rep and it works well. Brush it on and wipe it off. About $10 a can that seems to be several years supply. I renew 3-4 times a year depending on tool use.

Hmm... Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. I won't do that again... :)
Anthony
He means silicone, of course. Slick stuff that turns back finishing attempts.

there is an aerosol, "saw and ?? cleaner" that i have used that worked well. i'll get more info on it later. rich

You've got it. Non-polar solvent for resin and pitch. Little bit of furniture wax afterward is about as good as any of the commercial products I've tried.

You poor bastard, never never mention automotive wax on this group. Prepare to be crucified. Apologize now and say hail Johnson's paste wax three times ..;-)
I use Arm n Hammer washing soda and an old toothbruth for cleaning off the old sap and resin. Works great. Then I follow with a coat of JOHNSON'S PASTE WAX...
EJ
calmly ranted:

Buy a gallon of Simple Green at the Borg for $8 and use it for years. It can be reused as a bath for saw blades. Soak for 30 minutes and scrape the softened/dissolved resins from the blade with an old toothbrush. I take a torch and bend the brush so it's 90 degrees from the handle. I know I'll never put one of those in my mouth again, plus they're handier at that angle for cleaning. ;)
--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.

For table saw blades, I use oven cleaner out of a spray can and let is soak for a few minutes. Wipes 'em up clean!