Cleaning new carving tools

I just bought a "starter" set of carving tools from Japan Woodworker just to fool around. They have some kind of clear protective finish on the blades and metal shanks. How should I remove this protective coating?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I already got my answer from the Japan Woodworker customer service (amazing service!). I left an email with the same question and 90 minutes later I had a phone call to my house from them. They told me to just dip the blade in laquer thinner.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

"Bob Davis" wrote in news:TozOc.3561$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

So, let us know how you like them, Bob. Inquiring minds want to know.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" "Bob Davis" wrote in

Sure, be glad to. I don't expect much except to get an idea of how useful a few carving tools might be to have around and see if they tweak my interest in carving. I'm drawn to the idea of making some bits of furniture with some decorative hand carving - something that says "this is really unique". But I don't want to spend $75 per tool to find out I don't like it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

"Bob Davis" wrote in news:lCBOc.3695$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That was pretty much my thought. I like doing business with Japan Woodworker, but I've got to draw the line somewhere. I can't just buy everything that looks like it might be interesting, or lead to creative discovery. This is a hobby for me, after all.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

got a link to the set you bought? I'd like to see it... Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Something that hacks me off, an experienced Columbian carver has twice borrowed carving tools from me and when asked to return then said he had broken then . No attempt to replace the tools let alone pay for new ones .

Once one owns a set then one makes the set ones own. The grinding angles the sharpening ,honing and polishing take many hours to get just right. to be treated so lightly by a professional, who really knows the score really irks me. mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Man... ALWAYS say "NO"! You got ripped-off. If he won't let you even see them, then you should call the police. If he does, and they are "broken", take him to small claims court. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

that doesn't work, look for product ID 16.102.31 on

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Thanks Bob. They look good and well made for the price but very small in size. I have these large hands. Tell me how can I learn to use tinyURL? Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Nevermind I found it. Alex

Reply to