Cleaning cherry

I have a situation in which I have new unfinished cherry windows in my house. They got all dirty and dusty during the construction and then some dumb person got them wet. So now I have raw cherry windows that are very dirty with the dirt going below the surface because of the water. Does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning the wood before I begin normal finishing operations? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

Chicago, Ill

Reply to
robert c. friesl
15% Clorox bleach in water. Spray on and let sit, when clean, rinse with water.
Reply to
Rumpty

Stay AWAY from Clorox unless you like white cherry.

Reply to
Ramsey

So will the mineral spirits "absorb" the stains that were created by the wet "dirt" and dust? The stains seem to be in the grain. They look alot tlike steam stains on rough lumber that comes out of a steam kiln. If you have bought rough lumber, you willknow what I mean. I agree about using Clorox.....I want to minimize any alteration of the natural color. Thanks for your continued help.

Bob

Chicago, Il

Reply to
robert c. friesl

The egg and oil will attract the attention of the dog, who will lick the area and disperse the discoloration.

My feeling is that if the spots were made by an ionic solvent - water - they will not respond to a nonionic like any of the solvents mentioned. What is carried by water to the edges of the spots won't be washed away except by water. I always set up the grain with water prior to the final sanding on any project anyway, and it doesn't seem to hurt cherry. You might use alcohol to speed evaporation.

Reply to
George