cleaning carbide tools

I have a 1/4" carbide sanding drum and an orb for my dremel tool. It has gunked up and for the life of me I can't get it clean. I have soaked in turpentine for days but no magic softening powers. Any ideas? Cheers, Davy

Reply to
davy

soak it in undiluted clorox, it will dissolve the wood in an hour or so.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

TSP in hot water melts way any gunk on saw blades. It's very alkaline, so wear safety glasses.

Reply to
MB

TSP?

Reply to
davy

Tri Sodium Phosphate.

Available in any supermarket or DIY.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On 6/15/2009 10:46 PM davy spake thus:

AKA trisodium phosphate, very common cleaning compound.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Borrow your wife's can of Easy Off oven cleaner (aka lye).

Reply to
dadiOH

see

and oven cleaner work fine

I run parts like this through the dishwasher but I'm a bachelor. Maybe not a good idea for a married man.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Walz

Thank you all, davy

Reply to
davy

Metal, with carbide whiskers? Burn it clean with a torch.

Dental pick.

Reply to
Father Haskell