Cleaning bandsaw tyres?

What should I use to clean my bandsaw tyres that have sawdust imbedded on them. I have carefully scraped the heavier bits off but don't want to damage the surface of the rubber. Methylated spirits, turps, etc...? Thanks, Davy

Reply to
davy

"davy" wrote

Since you may already have it in the shop, alcohol works good as a cleaner for rubber/most synthetic parts.

I used 99% isopropyl for years for cleaning heads, transport guides, capstans and pinch rollers for tape decks in the recording studio. AAMOF, it was the active ingredient of many of the more expensive head and roller cleaners back in the old days of analog recording.

I've also used it on my band saw tires with no problems for years ... outta the same bottle I use to cut my shellac.

Just do NOT use "acetone" ... :(

FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman

Not sure if it would clean bandsaw tires, but I had an inkjet printer that wouldn't grab paper to feed it. I found somewhere on the internet that recommended cleaning the rubber wheels with half & half windex and water using a Q-tip. Worked great and the paper has been feeding without a hitch.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I just watched Duginske's video, which I recommend highly.

One way he does it is to attach some 100 grit sandpaper to a long flat stick, like a 2 x 3, and turns the wheels to abrade them smooth, while preserving the curve.

The point of the long stick, maybe 14 inches, is to keep your hand away from the spinning wheels.

Reply to
KIMOSABE

I just grab a piece of hardwood and hold it at a bit of an angle and give it a few rotations. Whatever doesn't come off doing that is going to be back on it in about 10 mins of use anyway.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Suggestion: Get the $7 brush that keeps the tyres clean. I don't know the UK dealer or price.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Oddly I used Freon to clean recording heads on ADP computers.

Reply to
Leon

If these are truly rubber, do not use isopropyl alcohol. Wood alcohol (methanol) won't hurt the rubber but should not come in contact with skin and is poisonous. I glue some sandpaper onto a stick and use that to clean the surface. I have a brass wire brush that leans against the tire as it rotates. That, with good DC suction, sawdust can be kept under control.

Reply to
Phisherman