cleanest cut

Page 2 of 2
"Leon" wrote in message

I’d use a router and a pattern to make the grooves too. For the flush cutting I'd probably use my shaper though. I like the extra power, the lack of vibration, and the resulting finish that I get with the shaper. With gently curves like that it would perform well...
I run bearings above and below the cutter so I can raise or lower the cutter and run the work through in the proper direction in regards to the grain and curve. This is an alternative to flipping the cutter over and switching the rotation direction.
John

I used the BS to hog out most of the waste area. Cleaning up with the larger 1.125 bit was quite smooth and effortless when it was only having to remove about 1/16" of the remaining material on the two pieces. But I bet the shaper does a bang up job with out having to remove excess to begin with.

That would be an advantage too. Fortunately since I was not removing more than 1/16" back cutting/going the wrong way was also effortless and with out any excitement.
"Leon" wrote in message

I have been known to climb cut on the router table when there was little to remove... and the router bits are "safety bits" rather than "winged" so they will only take a small bite anyway...
The router and it's bits will only spin in one direction... This is another reason I like the shaper as the reverse option comes in handy. In fact, there are times I run it in reverse simply because the feed direction is more convenient for the particular task.
John
On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 13:16:34 -0800, Electric Comet

Table saw with good sharp narrow kerf planer blade.