Clayton Spindle Sanders?

Morning All,

I am looking to buy an Oscillating Spindle Sander and I am thinking about the Clayton model #146.

don't care very much for the Delta, and there is no way I am buying a Ryobi. I wouldn't mind one of the Taiwanese Max knock offs (floor models), but I don't have the space. I did a google search and didn't come up with much info on this sander.

Does anyone have one? Any comments on it?

Thanks,

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Don't know what the bearing business is about, but the for the price, and the shorter stroke, better be _damn_ good.

This has longer stroke, taller drum, square table to make jigging easier.

mine, even added an insert to pattern sand. Good power, so-so dust extraction.

This one looks intriguing, having both of the most used types, but my experience with Grizz is that it's spotty in quality.

Reply to
George

Well, you're probably not going to believe me, but the Ryobi is actually a great tool. And, no, my shop isn't full of Ryobi. But their spindle sander does a great job. It is smooth, and never feels underpowered, even with the

3" spindle. Mine was stolen, and instead of replacing with a "better" unit, I'm just going to get another Ryobi.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I agree with Brian,

The Ryobi is a great sander, and for only 100 $US, you aren't risking a whole lot. It certainly seems a MUCH better deal than spending $650 (even if it is Canadian $) on a benchtop OSS. I admit that Clayton looks to be very well made, and probably has some benefits over and above the Ryobi. BUT, the Ryobi works and works great, and that's what really matters, right? Not some inflated sense of elitism about what tools are "good".

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Me neither! Except for their BE321 belt sander. That's a nice 3x21" VS sander. Other than that - no Ryobi! Oh, except for their OSS. That's been a nice surprise too! Other than that and that - no way, no how!

Reply to
patrick conroy

I'm with George on this. The Jet is a good quality sander. You will not be disappointed.

Dave

> Love mine, even added an insert to pattern sand. Good power, so-so dust > extraction.

TeamCasa

David:

I own and use the Clayton model and in my opinion it is much better than any other machine on the market. It is smooth and powerful and built like a battleship. This unit would give you and the next three owners years of trouble free use. This is a wonderful machine. Quality through out. It is expensive, but everything that is quality is expensive. This is the last spindle sander you will ever need to buy.

Good luck, Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

I remember the year that Clayton Spindle Sander died They said for the last two weeks that he suffered and cried It made a big impression on me, although I was a barefoot kid They said he got religion at the end and I'm glad that he did.

Apologies to Tom T. Hall j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Mike, I believe you just sold David. The comparison to a battle ship should go far and fit in with his aircraft carrier jointer. LOL

Reply to
Leon

"David F. Eisan" wrote i

I have one. Works well. Pluses...being able to change the spindle from above and with only one wrench...inserts that fit well and fine tune for flushness...including a 3 inch spindle, one of the most useful sizes...compactness...should last forever. Minuses: too heavy to be practical for someone who needs a tool to pull out and put away each time it's used.

Reply to
Woodstock

You just "had" to do that didn't you ????

and d> I remember the year that Clayton Spindle Sander died

Reply to
Pat Barber

********************************** I have owned the benchtop jet for about 1-1/2 years and have been very pleased. I originally thought I needed (wanted) a larger floor machine and looked at the bigger Jet and Grizzly. I shape a fair amount of 8/4 oak in longer pieces and thought the larger table would help. However, the smaller machine is doing fine. I can tape two pieces of 8/4 oak together and stroke and power are more than ample to do gang shaping. I also shape countoured saddles for some rocking horses. This uses the full length of the drum and I apply a fair amount of pressure. I have yet to slow the machine appreciably. The only "problem" I have had is I recently found a setscrew under the machine. I checked out the parts diagram and fixed it quickly. It retailed for about $415 in October of '02 but I have seen it for around $300 on Amazon.

Regarding comment on spotty Grizzly quality, I understand where that comes from. I have visited the Springfiled store, and while most of their machinery is of good to great quality, they do have a few doggies. This is true of most any manufacturer. I have owned a 1023 cabinet saw for about two years and it is a wonderful machine. My son in law just picked up a G0500 jointer and it appears to be well made and solid. On the other hand, I had trouble getting excited about their lathes. I understand their service is world-class but I haven't had to test it. They did, however, get my saw delivered, on dock, within 36 hours of my internet order.

Reply to
rbrogan