CLASSIC WOOD TOOL CHEST - ARTS & CRAFT

http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/workshop/2001/1/wooden_tool_box/index.phtml
Nice, very nice. I'll probably never make one, or, if I do, it'll probably be from plywood - that way I won't feel bad when it gets dinged.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:24:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I bought a little toolchest a week or so back. Looks like it was made by an apprentice at British Aerospace who'd had a good few years of use out if afterwards. Lovely piece of work really - dovetailed carcase, dovetailed drawer fronts. OK, so it isn't going to worry the Gerstner family, but a pretty commendable piece of work.
Sadly though, it was made from some squishy softwood - maybe Doug Fir. No easier to work with than using the right stuff, and now the drawer slides had worn completely hog-backed. A few strips of maple when building it would have made it _so_ much better.
I agree about the plywood though - that's what my toolboxes are made of. Maybe a few bits of oak framing on the corners, if they're going to take a beating.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:13:40 +0100, Andy Dingley

I wish you'd buy yourself a little coffin and bury yourself in it, Dingleberry. You suck.
Rb
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:38:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dfcfu.com (Rb) wrote:

My, aren't you the pleasant one. Did you mother forget to teach you that if you can't say anything nice, then not to say anything at all?
==========================================================================Chris
Talking of Gerstner toolchests, I see that they're offering them half-price in semi-finished state. Still not cheap, but it's a saving worth having and you could do a Craftsman fumed oak finish on it.
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/toolchests/52-kit.htm
J T did say:

http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/workshop/2001/1/wooden_tool_box/index.phtml

I LIKE it! I think you've just shown me my next project. I've got some beautiful curly quartersawn white oak that would look great for this.
Thanks
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:11:02 -0400, WoodMangler

http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/workshop/2001/1/wooden_tool_box/index.phtml

I've been using these plans for the last few weeks to learn how to assemble and design drawers and drawer guides.. great exploded color view, etc...
Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 3:45pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (macdavis) says: I've been using these plans for the last few weeks to learn how to assemble and design drawers and drawer guides.. great exploded color view, etc...
Gee, if you wanted to know how to make drawers, all you had to do was say so. http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/freepatterns/g1907drawershalf.html
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker