Clamps from Borg

Page 2 of 2
<<<<<<<<<<<<snippage >>>>>>>>>>

True that if our jointery is perfect, you shouldn't need much clamping pressure. But what if you should screw up . . .er. . .I mean if your joints are a little less than optimal? You just might need a farking but-load of clamping force. Or if your wood has a slight twist, warp, or cup. Not everyone can afford the luxury of thickness planers and jointers, etc., and not all wood is flat and straight.
I cannot remember having 2' or 3' pipe clamps bend enough to be a problem (using 1/2" pipe), but I have had 4' sections bend a little. And there are even some possible cases where the bend can be beneficial. For exmple, I was building a shelf unit that had dadoes cut in the sides and back for shelves. When I used a clamp across the back of the carcass, it bent and actually helped to keep pressure on the center of the shelf itself. In other words, it made sure that the back did not bow outward away from the shelf. But overall, I would say that the stiffer the clamps the better so go with 3/4" pipe.
Wayne
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:55:24 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

Or the patience to re-do the "less than otimal" workmanship so excessive force is unnecessary. To each his own. "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer" is something it took me a long time to outgrow, so I really understand. :)

In my original reply I was careful to say that I thought 3/4 to be overkill for "fine woodworking."
We're talking about two different types of building here. If I'm using undressed lumber that's crooked, bowed, warped and/or cupped, I'm generally building outdoor play equipment and lawn furniture, not furnishings for my home. :)
I've done a bit of that, and I've used the scissors jack out of my car as a clamp, (or, more accurately, a spreader), too. The right "tool" for the job, eh?
Michael Baglio Hope I used enough smileys.
Speaking of 3/4" pipe clamps, HF has the deep jaw ones on sale for $6.

I have been cleaning up my workshop/garage lately. last night I counted up my clamps.
I have >50 spring type clamps of various sizes, but only about 30 clamps of other type. Amazing how one accumulates such things over time. i would never have guessed I had more than 80 clamps.

There are several things that woodworkers never have enough of. Time, money, wood, space, ideas, tools, etc. And clamps is way up there on the list.
Wayne

If you want to save money on good clamps:
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PSI&Category_Code=CL
I got a bunch of their stuff and it is all good, expecially the price.
Right now, free shipping on an order of $100.
Be sure and check out thier "web specials" They put stuff on sale all the time.
I have not bought a clamp in a retail store in years.
Robert Rushing wrote:

I have some of each. Got the 1/2" when I was young and broke. I still find uses for them from time to time. Unless the above description fits (young and broke) you can use a 3/4 for anything you'd use a 1/2 for but not necessarily the reverse. I picked up a few 3/4 sets from Rockler a while back that have the bracket on the back that keeps the jaws level. I also have a few bar clamps of various types. Have you been thinking about Besseys? Pipe clamps have the advantage that in an unexpected situation you can use very long pipes, you can use couplers, you get the idea. A few are always nice to have around. Other things being equal, I'd go with the 3/4.
rhg