Clamps - 40"+ sized clamps

Page 2 of 2
Somebody wrote:
> Having purchased one of the Norm-style glue rollers a couple projects > ago, I noticed I now have glue all over the bars. Any easy remedies > out there for removing Titebond?
A wire brush on a motor. Either a drill or a right angle sander.
Lew
Greg O wrote:

Plain 'ol personal preference makes perfect sense to me. <G>
Thanks!

Don't buy 48" capacity. It won't clamp the edges on your plywood. Bessey comes 51, and that's a good option.
If I had it to do again I would have bought Bessey in the beginning. Clamps last a lifetime, you might as well get the best.
If you don't need a deep throat a pipe clamp is the cheapest and one of the best and it can be any length(you just buy the length of pipes you need.

Mon, Jan 1, 2007, 2:39pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Coltrane) doth sayeth: I am looking for clamps that are at least are between 40" and 48". <snip>
Cam clamps. Easy to make. I made a whole batch, 12" to 48". Very inexpensive to make, work fine. Plans on-line.
Or pipe clamps.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky

3/4" pipe clamps + iron pipe of your chosen length work OK. I've set them up in 8' lengths. If you buy 2, 3 & 4 foot pipes, and some couplers, you can quickly create long lengths. A helper is very useful once the clamp gets over 5 or 6 feet long, as they are heavy and you may need to adjust both ends. The long Rolls Royce clamps are fully controlled at one end.
As for bar clamps, I prefer the K's and Cabinet Masters for anything over 18", but regular Bessey and Jorgensen bar clamps work well up to 18" or so. The lighter bar clamps get flexy when they get long, the Rolls Royce clamps are stiffer.
Pipe clamps. Relativly cheap, work well and adjustable (add pipe) to any size.

There's something here that I think everyone missed. I noticed because I fell into the trap myself once. If you're just starting (even if you are doing some tables), you're going to generally run into far more occasions when you need 24" clamping capacity than 40+". Trust me when I tell you that even though in concept it sounds good, you will be VERY unhappy trying to wrestle 40+"ers around a 20" glueup. DAMHIKT.
I have an article on my website on choosing one's first K-Bodies, and it tells the whole sordid tale of my experience. It applies equally to most other clamps except pipe, which you can easily change the capacity of by simply changing the pipe--the sole advantage of them over K-Bodies, so far as I'm concerned.
Also, for bar type clamps (F style, such as Jorgie 37xxes and Tradesmans) the Rolls Royce is Wexler.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:
> > There's something here that I think everyone missed. I noticed because > I fell into the trap myself once. If you're just starting (even if you > are doing some tables), you're going to generally run into far more > occasions when you need 24" clamping capacity than 40+".
<snip>
If you want an argument, change the subject.
I've probably got over 100, 3", 4, 6", & 8" C-Clamps.
At least 15-20, 18",& 24" bar clamps.
After that, comes the pipe clamps.
Keep an eye out for Harbor Freight bar clamp sales.
Last time I got some 18" bar clamps for less than $2 each.
Yes they are cheap, but bar clamps aren't heavily loaded gadgets.
Lew

Not yet... but noting this little puppy:
http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID 251
It's only a matter of time before Hitachi weighs-in with with their 36 volt, lithium ion version with a bubble level and a laser sight.
Call it "progress"

Everybody,
thanks for the all the feedback. I am going to take a look into pipe clamps. It seems that I shouldn't need any more. I was a little mixed on which to get because currently my small clamps, 24", are all quick-grip clamps and I like the large throat. My current long clamps, 36", are my grandfather's 70+ year old bar clamps that have the same throat as the bessey pipe clamps. An additional benefit to the pipe clamps is that if I don't like them the investment was minimal and I can pick up some bar clamps.
thanks again for all the feedback
cheers
Coltrane wrote:

I have 8 Kbodies, 8 Pipe clamps and a bazillon F clamps.
I reach for the K-bodies first, but I don't need nor want all Kbodies in the collection. Kbodies have the nice property that the apply nice 90 -degree pressure, unlike an F-clamp which can cause a joint to slide.
Once you have an assembly locked in place with 2 K-bodies, you can supplement with other types of clamps.
In addition to price, pipe clamps have more length flexibility. I have 4 at 36" and 4 at 60". With some couplers I can potentially have 3,5,6,8, and 10' clamps.
I think an assortment of type is really the best.
-Steve

Aluminum bar clamps work quite well...
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 0-650
The other choice in the "frugal" range is pipe clamps which are a major pain in the ass and heavy as a mud fence.
Coltrane wrote:

My vote is for the K body Bessey's. I love using them with the blocks to be able to clamp something (like cabinet doors) on 4 sides and keep everything flat. Sometimes I had problems gluing up doors with the pipe clamps, and would end up with a slightly warped door. Plus, if anyone needs ideas on what to get you for Christmas, father's day, birthday, etc. K body clamps are a sure winner and you'll accumulate plenty pretty quickly! --dave (who has about 30 K bodies and the smaller uniclamps now...)

John,
I believe that David Marks uses pipe clamps in his glue ups and it certainly doesn't look like his work suffers any by using them. In case you don't know, he is the host of Wood Works on the DYI channel.
His website can be see at http://www.djmarks.com/channels/djmnews.asp
Peter.

Coltrane wrote:

If you have enough money to buy about 6-8 (or more) Bessey K bodies, I'd do that (Although I don't know how big your table will be). If you have patience, you can get them on sale for $20-25 each for the 24" ones (shipped).
If you get tired of woodworking, you can ebay the Besseys easily and recoup your money if you bought them on sale.
I started with pipe clamps, and got about 50 of them before I started buying Besseys. The only time I use a pipe clamp is for extremely long jobs or if I have to put an extreme amount of pressure on that (I can crank down a pipe clamp harder).. Both cases are very rare. The pipe clamps are so infrequently used, that I moved them out of the shop and into the "junk" area of the basement.
Well all, I went out and took the inexpensive (cheap) way and bought pipe clamps. I bought Pony clamps and will be picking up the pipes tomorrow. It seemed that being able to change size is a big benefit. Since I am starting I hope pipes will do fine. Also, the Ponys have a clamp with a 2 1/2 inch reach. Just for the hell of it I bought pair of 1-3/4-inch clamps. Guess I'll learn by mistake.
thanks for all the input. I learned a lot.
cheers
coltrane