clamps

Here is a quote from the website:

Sold Out! ? We're sorry, but we've completely sold out of our Jorgensen Clamp inventory. What was normally a five year supply of clamps sold out in less than one hour. This was a one time offer from Jorgensen and they have no more inventory available to us at this special price. If they did, we'd be more than happy to sell it!

We certainly understand your disappointment and if it's any consolation, we'd like to offer you a 10% discount on any purchases over $50* that you make in the remainder of this month.

Our stores also carried the clamps, but please call your local store before you make the trip. It's possible the stores experienced the same clamp sell-out.

Reply to
BigDog

If that was indeed a five year supply gone in one hour, then common sense would indicate that the normal retail price is set too high, and the sale price was set too low.

Reply to
Swingman

And that they aren't going to be selling many clamps for the next five years.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I'd say that Jorgensen will be offering a better clamp for the same price any time now....

Reply to
Myxylplyk

time now....

I have 4. They are good clamps, but I still reach for the K-Body Besseys first.

Reply to
Phisherman

The indicator is that they sold what was normally a 5 year supply. I think the clamps were introduced last year IIRC. They probably ordered a 5 year supply for the sale at the reduced price. A business would be foolish to keep a 5 year supply of anything on hand. An item should turn 3 to 6 rimes a year minimum. I would agree that the sale price was ridiculously low, however selling at that price was probably cheaper than advertising and they did get the clamp out and into the hands of the buyers. Word of mouth can be better than advertising. I bought several of these clamps in August from another company for the same price and the inventory was sold out right after I ordered. A week after ordering I called to follow up on the order and the gentleman laughed and indicated that I must be calling about the clamps. Yeah I said... He said that they would ship soon as they had been spending 80% of their time boxing and shipping these clamps for the last week... I got my clamps a week later. Apparently these sales are moving an extraordinary amount of clamps.

Reply to
Leon

Just out of curiosity, have these Jorgenson clamps even been available for 5 years? I suppose it is entirely possible, and I've just been having so much fun that time has flown by that quickly :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

IIRC I read about the new Cabinet Master clamps in Wood Magazine last year when they were compared and rated superior to GS, and Bessy. They probably ordered a 5 year supply quantity in preparation for the sale.

Reply to
Leon

If you've noticed, these things tend to sit on the shelves a long time. IMO, clamps in this range are currently overpriced and these "sales" prove the point ... people simply don't buy them until they're on sale, as we see here all the time.

I'd bet that sooner or later that the Bessey's, Gros Stabil's, and Jorgenson's are going to have to have a price shakeout ... and, hopefully for the woodworker, these little "sales" skirmishes are an indication of what's to come.

Now, if Jorgenson would add just $7.50 per unit to the sales price of yesterday, and use the resultant figure as their retail price, most of us here would still buy a boatload tomorrow, and Jorgenson would move another "extraordinary amount of clamps" and still make money ... as I'd bet they do on the "sales" price.

Reply to
Swingman

Jack,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Jorgensen used this "100 year anniversary" promotion to dump their inventory. A "new and improved" version will be out shortly.

Bob

any time now....

Reply to
bob

Wonder if maybe they've come up with a design that doesn't lock tight so easily; a problem related by a number of posters.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

What bullshit! Adjustable's cust service mgr explained the company's thinking regarding all the promotions in the Woodnet forums 2 days ago. Why don't you do a little research before you spout off, or do you figure the company's CSM must be a liar?

Reply to
TT

IMO, it ain't "bullshit" so much as naïveté.

The company "since last spring", with a "huge buy of raw materials", manufactured then sold all those clamps out of gratitiude to customers they obviously never had before, lost money on each one, AND then is compelled to "answer all of your questions, and clear up a lot of the speculation surrounding" WHY the sale took place?

.... and folks apparently believe every word.

Clampman's post is chock full of words that are guaranteed "button pushers" in the marketing game ... wouldn't be surprised if he is something other than CSM as well.

All of which further reinforces my believe that these damn things are normally priced too high to sell, unless you come up with a gimmick, like an Anniversary Sale.

Reply to
Swingman

Dunno, were his lips moving? ;-)

Reply to