Clampless straight edge seen on This Old House

This morning on This Old House, Tom was using a clampless straight edge to rip and cut dadoes into plywood using handheld tools. I did not catch the episode number, but it is one of the Concord cottage episodes. Of course, because the show airs on PBS, they did not say who the manufacturer is. I wonder if any of you know who makes this straight edge? It looked to be made of extruded aluminum, and had three or four long rubber gaskets on the bottom that keep it from sliding when there's pressure on it, so it did not need to be clamped to the stock being cut. The tool rode on a protruding rail, so it didn't need to be pressed against the edge of the straight edge. It appeared that the router and circular saw were fitted with a special base to ride on the rail. I can neither afford or house a table saw, large router table, or jointer right now, and it seems like this tool would offer a reasonable compromise. I am especially impressed by the rail feature that keeps the tool aligned and riding straight; the clampless feature sounds convenient, but I'm not hell-bent on having it if there's another (more affordable) tool that is comparable. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

-AD

Reply to
Adam Diehl

|This morning on This Old House, Tom was using a clampless straight edge |to rip and cut dadoes into plywood using handheld tools. I did not catch |the episode number, but it is one of the Concord cottage episodes. Of |course, because the show airs on PBS, they did not say who the |manufacturer is. I wonder if any of you know who makes this straight |edge? It looked to be made of extruded aluminum, and had three or four |long rubber gaskets on the bottom that keep it from sliding when there's |pressure on it, so it did not need to be clamped to the stock being cut. |The tool rode on a protruding rail, so it didn't need to be pressed |against the edge of the straight edge. It appeared that the router and |circular saw were fitted with a special base to ride on the rail. I can |neither afford or house a table saw, large router table, or jointer |right now, and it seems like this tool would offer a reasonable |compromise. I am especially impressed by the rail feature that keeps the |tool aligned and riding straight; the clampless feature sounds |convenient, but I'm not hell-bent on having it if there's another (more |affordable) tool that is comparable. Any information would be |appreciated. Thanks! | |-AD

Wes Stewart

I saw that episode and also thought that was pretty "slick."

Reply to
Kevin Wilcox

There are other suppliers of straight edge guides which have the tool ride on a plate instead of against the edge. Those that I have seen in catalogs do use clamps. One supplier is Penn State Industries. I cannot speak at all to the quality of their product as I have never seen it but it seems to meet your description. I suspect it is a lot less expensive than any tool from Fein. John

Reply to
John Siegel

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Part of the FESTOOL system

Pricey

John

Reply to
John Crea

I've had the PennState jig for several years and would do it again. I pull 4X8 from pickup onto stands, clamp the alum guide and grab the circular saw.

Reply to
Bob Bowles