Clamping Cauls

I'm thinking of making some dedicated clamping cauls out of maple, and was wondering about dimensions. Say I use 8/4 stock, how "tall" should they be, and given that thickness and height, to what radius should I round them? (They'll be 40" in length.) I'm planning on making up a template for them, and then shaping them with a router. Any rule of thumb for this? (heh. any boondock saints fans?) JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

All right, I've done a bit of googling and found a few different techniques for estimating how much crown to use. Now for the math jocks. I'd like to have my cauls be of a constant radius, so I can use the whole length or any portion thereof. If I want to have a 40" length with a crown of 1/10" in the middle, I'm drawing an arc of what radius? Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

2000.05 inches (166 feet 8.05 inches)
Reply to
Doug Miller

| I'm thinking of making some dedicated clamping cauls out of maple, | and was wondering about dimensions. Say I use 8/4 stock, how | "tall" should they be, and given that thickness and height, to what | radius should I round them? (They'll be 40" in length.) I'm | planning on making up a template for them, and then shaping them | with a router. Any rule of thumb for this? (heh. any boondock | saints fans?)

You can find a "rule of thumb" at

Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA

Morris Dovey

Radius = 2000.05 inches.

Reply to
CW

You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top of another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, etiher by hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so it's now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's stressed like this, screw down the other end to the lower board. Then cut on tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit to FWW I think)

Reply to
lwasserm

Wouldn't that result in a board that is 'skinnier' in the middle? I thought that for a clamping caul you wanted the board to be 'thicker' in the middle.

Maybe I'm confused about what you are describing, though...

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Depends on which side of the bow you cut on. Cut on the concave side, and it's thicker in the middle; cut on the convex side, and it's thicker at the ends.

You do.

The description sounds like cutting on the convex side, which is not what you want. Using the same technique, though, and cutting on the concave side, seems to me that it should work just fine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh. I'm gonna need a bigger trammel. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Maybe someone with a CNC router could start selling templates. Until then, I think this is the way to go.

JP

PS: I'll give someone $40 for a 4' CNC'd arc with a 2000.05" radius. Plus shipping. 3/8 or 1/2 inch baltic birch or similar plywood. Seriously.

Reply to
Jay Pique

| On Nov 29, 11:29 pm, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote: || You can cut them much faster on a table saw. Put one board on top || of another, screw through one end into the board below. Now, || etiher by hand or using C clamps or whatever, bow the top board so || it's now-bowed edge extends over the lower board. While it's || stressed like this, screw down the other end to the lower board. || Then cut on tablesaw, & voila, one curved board. (Not sure, credit || to FWW I think) | | Maybe someone with a CNC router could start selling templates. | Until then, I think this is the way to go. | | JP | | PS: I'll give someone $40 for a 4' CNC'd arc with a 2000.05" radius. | Plus shipping. 3/8 or 1/2 inch baltic birch or similar plywood. | Seriously.

Would you like a 40" arc in a 48" piece - or the arc across the entire

48"? I'd be happy to take you up on that if you'll accept 1/4" tempered hardboard or spring for the BB.

The 1/4" material is less expensive to buy and ship; and can be used to produce additional templates out of whatever you'd /really/ like. [ B'sides, I already have the hardboard in the shop :-) ]

Morris Dovey

I think you're all getting carried away. I just took a hand plane and c= ut what seemed to be adequate. Been using them for years. Don't overcomplicat= e things.

--=20 It's turtles, all the way down

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It'll cost you a hundred bucks just to turn mine on.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Jay Pique

Take a look here

they got complete instructions on making them plus lots of other hints. Jim

Reply to
James

whatever, if one board is skinnier in the middle, waht does that make the board it was cut from? Actually, it doesn't matter, IMHO ideal would be a caul that was curved and of equal thickness & width (Kind of like HD lumber but more consistent :) ). Sometimes with a caul, you may want to put a clamp at each end; then you want the convex side facing against the "clampee" Other times, a single clamp in the middle will be adequate; then, you would want the concave side of the caul against the workpiece.

Reply to
lwasserm

| It'll cost you a hundred bucks just to turn mine on.

Your machine beats the daylights out of mine for precision...

...but mine turns on a lot easier :-)

Morris Dovey

There are other methods to use. A trammel is great for a direct cut, but there really are other ways to get this.

FWW had an article in there mag a couple of years ago called "Cutting big curves"

Reply to
George Max

Wish I had one like yours sometimes though.

Reply to
CW

You beat me to it. For that slight of a curve and given that cauls are not german timepieces, eyeball it with a #5 and start gluing.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall