Civil War woodworking

Since it's built of wood, I thought I would introduce the group to a project being constructed at the moment here in my hometown. It is a full scale replica of a Civil War gunboat that was built here in the 1860's to fight for the Confederacy. The remains of the original gunboat are also on display here by the State. This new gunboat construction was started as a private venture by locals. The idea is to promote Civil War tourism in the area, as there were 2 battles here within a few miles of town. These battlefields are also being preserved and promoted. In fact, I happen to live smack in the middle of one of them. I've often found bullets and shrapnel just digging in the yard for home projects.
The link is http://www.cssneuseii.com /
Hope you find this interesting,
RJ
Backlash wrote:

Kewl. I greatly enjoyed the pics and the story. It's good to see a town come together to work on something of that nature.
The boat is a full size replica, 136 feet in length, with a 37 foot beam. I have a book that was published on the boat titled " C.S.S. Neuse, A Question of Iron and Time." ISBN 0-86526-187-3, by Leslie S. Bright, William H. Rowland, and James C. Bardon..
RJ

Backlash wrote:

I might have missed this but are they using original old hand tools to build it?
No, they are using modern tools and equipment.
RJ

beam. I

Question
great - I went by to see the original about 20 years ago while on vacation - the first year the place was closed and the next year when I came by it was being renovated - but the guy working there took pity on me (I'm from Florida and made a special detour from I-95 jus to see the Neuse) and let me look around by myself.

Backlash wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty cool!
It's a bit disappointing to me as a woodworker that there are no real explanations for what is going on in the pictures though.
I can relate to how you feel about the thing rotting for lack of funds too. We have a transportation museum hereabouts that is basically a cemetery for old vehicles in various pathetic states of decay. Some few of the exhibits are in good shape, but most of them are little more than a scrap heap.