Circular saw won't ground, safe?

Reply to
toller

Do you realize you replied to your own dumb comment?

Sure, occasionally, but it is still never used in an intelligent discussion.

Hey, my 9 year old said the same thing to a friend the other day!

So, you concede you can't come up with a single fact. Then stop posting.

Reply to
toller

The closest you've ever come to being an "electrical engineer" is driving a Lionel train when you were a kid. You don't even know the difference between neutral and ground.

The ill-effects are obvious in your posts.

The world could only be so lucky. It's been documented already, pretty thoroughly, in this thread. Go read some of the responses to your posts.

Doug Miller

You are? Wow! I have worked with other degreed people who were completely clueless. It's still remarkable to me when I meet another. Now do you mean engineer -- or technologist? There is a difference. You might want to see if your old alma matter has a rework dept...

I think that is the debate here.

Did people not dispute at least one thing? I could too -- waste of time. You ignore facts contrary to your experience or opinions.

Post as much as you like -- it's a somewhat free country you live. Movies out for two people cost $30 to $50 -- otoh -- your posts are free and far more entertaining.

Always the helpful one I see.

Reply to
WillR

I guess he also taught you how to have an intelligent discussion?

I conceded nothing. If you think you can get people to respect you around here by putting words in my mouth, guess again.

I said I wasn't discussing anything with you, and I really must move on to things that need my attention. Please stop replying to my posts, because every time you do, I read them, thinking that you may have seen the errors of your ways and apologized like a man for offering wrong advice on electrical matters here and in previous threads.

Best not be holding my breath, eh?

Go play with your 9 year old. You can still impress humans at that age.

Reply to
Robatoy

[good stuff snipped]

Andy, Andy, Andy. You were doing good until here.

GFCIs are primarily protection when you're near water (kitchen, bathroom, spa, pool, basement). They're not used on every circuit.

Arcing fault breakers are a relatively recent development, and I suspect, the result of arc fault breaker industry lobbying rather than a solution to an actual widespread problem. I'd be interested in knowing how many deaths AFIs could have saved in the century of the Edison system that we didn't have them.

Aluminum wiring (in house) was used for a relatively short time, in only a very few houses (comparitvely), quite a number of years ago (on the order of 30 or more). Although there are probably some houses that still have it, it's not mowing down the populace left and right. The vast, VAST majority of US homes are wired in copper.

Aluminum feeders and transmission lines are an altogether different story and aren't killing anyone because they're aluminum, so far as I know.

[more good stuff snipped]
Reply to
LRod

Amazing. You know everything, but just don't want to bother with a single fact. Right...

Reply to
toller

One fact that you seem to have a little trouble grasping is that you have a lengthy history, both in rec.woodworking and in alt.home.repair, of offering electrical "advice" that is demonstrably incorrect and often dangerous.

Want an example?

About a month ago, over in ahr, somebody was asking about wiring up a range hood, or a stove, I forget which - and you told him to connect the green wire (hint: green = equipment ground) to the circuit *neutral*.

Want another?

A couple days ago, again in ahr, you told a guy to connect both hot legs of an Edison circuit to a single-pole duplex breaker, because you don't know the difference between that, and a double-pole breaker.

You're *dangerous*, toller. Quit trying to answer electrical questions. You don't have the first idea what you're talking about, and you're going to kill somebody some day.

Reply to
Yadda Yadda Yadda

Ed & Sue Beresnikow wrote in news:WPUhe.552$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Andy is a Brit. Do your best to translate from context. ;-)

Reply to
Patriarch

You have plenty of time to babble; just no time for facts. Hmm.

Reply to
toller

I'm with Dr. Anton on this one.

Replace the cord.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was in tech school, one of the teachers said, "Suppose you're working inside a transmitter chassis, and you bump up against the 12V filament supply, get a tingle and flinch, knocking your hand into the

4KV plate supply.

"Which one killed you?"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's what voltmeters are for. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was an electronics tech in the US Air Force, one of the stories that circulated was some guy who killed himself with a PSM-6 VOM. They come with sets of different probes, one of which is needle-sharp. It seems he wanted to measure his body resistance, so he took a probe in each hand and punctured his thumbs. Oh, yeah - on the higher-resistance ranges, that meter uses a 9- or 12-volt battery. Poking through his skin to the wet parts let more than 15 mA go through his heart. I don't know how to find out if this was true or just a scare story. We also were required to take off all rings and watches, and it was strongly recommended to put one hand in your pocket.

There was also the UL about the guy who ohmed out the igniter on an AIM-7 or AIM-9 missile, and the fins cut off both of his hands.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's a common myth that a defribrillator (like you see on TeeVee, when they go "CLEAR!" and zap the guy) "jump-starts" the patient's heart. It actually does the opposite. The heart is in fibrillation, and the jolt from the defibrillator causes the heart to cramp up momentarily, stopping the fibrillation. That is, it actually kills the guy. But an otherwise relatively normal heart will restart itself spontaneously, as you've noted.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There is no apostrophe in the word "always".

Reply to
Apostrophe Police

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:08:51 GMT in sci.electronics.basics, "Leon" wrote,

The dorm cafeteria where I went to college had toasters that ran on

220V. I really used to cringe when I saw people stick forks into them to retrieve stuck pieces of toast. I guess that is routine in the UK though.
Reply to
David Harmon

Watch the movie "Snatch" on DVD. Listen carefully to how Brad Pitt talks in that flick. Then, when reading a post from Andy, superimpose, in your mind, Pitt's accent with Andy's words. It will all make sense then.

*ducking*

A Guy Ritchie film. Snatch, as well as Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels are amongst my favourite movies. Ritchie is a great film maker, IMHO. Why he married that douche-bag Madonna, I'll never know.

Waitasec, in which newsgroup am I?

Reply to
Robatoy

It's hardly _routine_ to stick forks into live toasters. Few people do it more than once.

(Actually it's pretty safe. Only a real moron does it when they're hot and when the power is off, the elements are isolated. Toaster makers _know_ that there will be fools poking Darwin's Fork where they shouldn't, and they do try to take account of this)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Rich Grise wrote: ...

Did he then keep one of them in his pocket?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth