Circular saw won't ground, safe?

Page 1 of 6

Is it safe to operate an all alloy housing circular saw. My 15-year old industrial saw is reliable but the only thing aging is the cord. The cord's insulation is cracking and deteriorating. Last I'd check the ground wire is open but hidden from view. What would be the hazards if I continue to use it?
Thanks
On Sun, 15 May 2005 05:32:39 -0700, Tim Zimmer wrote:

The ground protects YOU. Replace the cord and connect the ground. The bottom line is: How many more years do you wish to do woodworking?

Only death.
Open the case and replace the entire cord. Then you can use it for another 15 years.

We'll all laugh at your funeral when they bury you in a cardboard box for being a skinflint.
It's a fecking power cable. Coupel of bucks most, even for good quality cable, and a few minutes job to fix. I have sympathy for people who get hurt from damaged cables by accident (this is why workshop tools should be tested and inspected, not just ignored) but to _know_ that it's a bad cable and to carry on using it is just pikey.
It is quite an easy matter to replace the power cord and ground but even with a grounded device you're depending on a chain of secure grounds to keep your tool safe. I would also obtain a GFCI pigtail and only run your power tools from that. They're required on all jobsites I've been on and all the electrocutions I've studied have been from workmen bypassing them. Richard

A couple years ago I moved an outlet by putting a hand on each side, contacting the hot with one and the neutral with the other. (I thought "the other guy" had opened the breaker) I was rather surprised to be alive and unhurt afterwards. I did some research and found out it is almost impossible to get a lethal shock from 120v under normal circumstances. Virtually all the electrocutions on record have been from 4000v or higher.
Accordingly, I am wondering about those fatal accidents you have studied. If my understanding is incorrect, I certainly want to get it adjusted. (no, I do not treat 120v casually; "almost impossible" means it is possible...)

IT ISN'T THE VOLTAGE! When I was in USN, they had studies showing deaths from relatively low voltages. It's the amps, or more precisely the milliamps, and where they travel. A certain milliamp current can be lethal if it passes through the heart/chest area because it will cause the heart to go into fibrillation, while a relatively high current may just cause the heart to stop, but once it is removed the heart will restart on it's own. I don't remember the exact numbers, but seems like it was around the 90-100 milliamp range that was lethal due to causing fibrillation.
--
Nahmie

to get 100ma off 120v unless you are in saltwater. Naturally adverse medical conditions, or just plain bad luck, will change everything!

Guess again, bozo.

Where do you get this ? You state this stuff as fact? Do you have ANY idea how irresponsible you are?
Shame on you!

Electricians used to test for hot wires by touching it; a little tingle and it was hot. Thats all it is, a little tingle. Certainly not a recommended method with modern test equipment available, but not all that dangerous since they used to get plenty of tingles. Measure your resistance,and then figure out the associated current. It is a lot closer to 0ma than to 100ma.

That's right, you ass, just a little tingle IF YOU'RE NOT GROUNDED.
If you *are*, you're risking your life.
Certainly not a recommended

You ever hear this saying? "There's old electricians, and there's bold electricians. But there ain't no old, bold electricians."

So by that "reasoning", ground fault circuit interrupters (which trip at 20ma) are completely unnecessary. Riiiiiiight.

As a matter of fact I did. Many. And I have a piece of paper to prove it. I went straight from college into a career at Ontario Hydro (the province-wide power company) in operations. During my tenure in operations at a 2000 MW power-station, I received an award for identifying safety problems relating to test procedures in station service electrical distribution. Again, paper/plaque and pictures from a dinner in my honour to prove it. But that's enough about me.
How about you? If you ever DID read anything about electrical engineering, you must now read some material on interpretative skills and memory retention, because, buddy, you do not know what you are talking about.

Aside from being an electrical engineer? (or receiving dozens of 120v shocks without any ill-effects?) Without waving your hands and throwing another hissy-fit, dispute one single thing I have said with documented facts. Do so, and I will never post regarding electrical issues again.
Hint; "everyone knows" is not a documented fact.
I asked you:

Answer that first.

Sometimes both are one and the same.
For instance:
Everyone knows you don't know what you're talking about AND the group has a documented paper-trail of what you have been posting.
Besides, I never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
END of discussion with you.

Do you realize you replied to your own dumb comment?

Sure, occasionally, but it is still never used in an intelligent discussion.

Hey, my 9 year old said the same thing to a friend the other day!

So, you concede you can't come up with a single fact. Then stop posting.

I guess he also taught you how to have an intelligent discussion?

I conceded nothing. If you think you can get people to respect you around here by putting words in my mouth, guess again.
I said I wasn't discussing anything with you, and I really must move on to things that need my attention. Please stop replying to my posts, because every time you do, I read them, thinking that you may have seen the errors of your ways and apologized like a man for offering wrong advice on electrical matters here and in previous threads.
Best not be holding my breath, eh?
Go play with your 9 year old. You can still impress humans at that age.

You have plenty of time to babble; just no time for facts. Hmm.

The closest you've ever come to being an "electrical engineer" is driving a Lionel train when you were a kid. You don't even know the difference between neutral and ground.

The ill-effects are obvious in your posts.

The world could only be so lucky. It's been documented already, pretty thoroughly, in this thread. Go read some of the responses to your posts.