Circular saw question

Page 2 of 2
Greg Kimnach wrote:

Yup, Festool seems to be starting with a fresh piece of paper when the design their versions of common handheld woodworking power tools. Their plunge circular saw is a great example of what the results of their approach produces - including variable speed.
The only other power tool brand that has done anything inovative that I can think of is Dewalt with their DW621 plunge routers. OK, so the sliding compound miter saw is another example- but PowerMatic trumpeting their "inovation" of adding wheels to a cabinet saw - well - DUH! My Robland X31 combi - which weighs in at around 1,100 pounds - has a mobility kit as an option that most buyers opt for. Most "euro" machines have a mobility kit option - my LT16SEC bandsaw - which is "only" 385 pounds can be moved around pretty easily when I need a longer infeed outfeed alley. Otherwise, it's against the wall next to the SCMS station.
I like to have options - and I'll pay more for them - if they seem useful. Variable speed circular saws seem a useful thing to have - when it comes to things to cut, one size (fixed rpm, vary the number and type of teeth) does not fit all cutting needs.
charlie b tool phreak