Circular Saw Question

I am a hobbyist and I need a little help. Lately my trusty circular saw has begun to make erratic cuts. The blade warps after cutting about 1 1/2 feet (even in soft pine). I originally thought it was the blade itself, so I changed that, but the new blade also warped. I am using a skilsaw 5150. Has a bearing or bushing gone bad on me? Can I fix this or do I need to go buy a new saw?
Thanks,
Bob

Can anyone imagine that? A bad quality skilsaw with a model number of "5150"!!! (sorry I couldn't help) Alex

Possibly the quality of the blade or your blade type selection.
On 28 Dec 2004 16:36:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (SolteroDad) wrote:

Umm, now don't take this personally, because lots of people have done it at one time or another (I'm not admittin' nuttin') but look at your saw from the side where you can see the whole blade (or most of it). Which way do the teeth go? If the teeth at the bottom point toward the back of the saw, then you have it on backwards, and the symptoms described above could apply. Take it off, turn it around, reinstall it, and Bob's your uncle. Try it again.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Chainsaw, prodigous amounts of smoke and swearing......... Nah never done that ;)
(SolteroDad)

has
feet
Has a

a new

Hi Bob
Check the foot that guides the saw, it may have come out of alignment with the blade. If you are guiding along some edge and the blade plane is not parallel to the edge of the foot, then you will increasingly be forcing the side of the blade against the kerf until it binds.
If it is far enough out of alignment, you might even be forcing the problem because you are eyeballing to the marker on the foot which is not truly on top of the spot where the blade will be cutting.
Scraper
In addition, check the washer and seat to make sure they're smooth. While unplugged, use your hand to check for any play. If there is enough to produce what you're saying, it should be easy to feel.
At a guess, I'd say the odds are either a burr on the washer/seat, or you're guiding against an edge and the blade's no longer parallel.
I won't even mention the "backward" blade issue that was raised earlier. The reason I won't mention it is that I switched mine from a general blade to a Forest for cutting some sheet hardwood, and didn't notice the two were labeled on opposite sides:-) Interestingly enough, the Forest did maintain a nearly splinter-free cut, even though the edge was nearly black.
GerryG