Circular saw injury

Page 3 of 4

free.com>

The diploma really should already be in the mail. ;~)
CW wrote:

Same strategy the airbag people used. And I expect a similar outcome--probably won't be short people that the Saw Stop kills but it will likely kill _somebody_.

--
--John

The original "Air Bag People" were Chrysler, General Motors, and Ford that I know of. Their air bags were being used in production vehicles as early as the 60's. I recall the early year Olds Toronado's having this option. The insurance industry is what has make this mainstream today.
Thanks for the story Matt. A blade guard is something to think about, don't let it happen to you.

Thats why I felt compelled to share the story. Lucky for my friend his brother was with him and able to rush him to the hospital (about 3 minutes away).
I think I am always very respectful of my power tools, and like to think I would not do something "stupid". However, no matter how careful I am, sometimes shit just happens.
Matt
Phisherman wrote:

yup. they arent called 'accidents' because you plan them...
randy

I feel constrained as a paramedic to note that the carotid artery is in the neck. Thus to cut your thigh and just miss the carotid artery with a six inch laceration means you are real short or... it was the femoral artery. Nonetheless we should all take care with electrically powered, and hand powered, sharp edges!!!
On 19 Jun 2004 16:17:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Tchswoods) calmly ranted:

It also could have indicated a cranial/rectal inversion, which would also explain why he didn't see the spinning blade. ;) See picture here: http://tinyurl.com/2355o ;)
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And the picture appears to be correct. ;~) Splains everything.
My mistake, you are correct regarding the artery.
Matt
Tchswoods wrote:

On 19 Jun 2004 16:17:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Tchswoods) wrote:

<G> coulda just been a real dickhead... <G/>
The blade guard isn't perfect either. A few years back, when I was doing a story in an emergency room, a guy came in who'd used a circle saw to rip a 2 X 8 and was holding the wood with his hand. Saw took off all four fingers. The hand surgeon said that, from his experience, the circle saw (and not the table saw) is the most dangerous saw in the shop.
Of course, a surgeon who reconstructs faces might differ.
jonfrank dot nasw dot org

If it was his carotid, he'd a tried to cut off his head! Maybe femoral, but still a big flowing artery. Sorry to nitpick. And sorry about your friend, too. I'll be careful. Tom Work at your leisure!
D'oh! Work at your leisure!
Yikes. I'd feel really bad for the guy if he had ......
-JBB

In rec.woodworking

Is this guy extremely fat? How can it be that large and deep and not cut into muscle?
No, he is not overweight. I am not planning on feelin up his thigh so I can report out on how muscular his legs are though!
Matt
Bruce wrote:

Well. if he was all excited about his work, lopping his hammer might have been as bad as severin the artery! <G>
I reckon I'd wreck a pair of shorts doing that too.

OK. Sick story time. I was working with some sheet metal (corr. .5mm stuff), making a door. A piece of pea gravel was caught under one corner of the sheet. I ran my arm across the corner and sliced it open for about 8". Thinks I "Wup! That was lucky!" ,and kept working. But things did not feel quite right. I looked at my arm and there were the "workings" all showing.
I wrapped my arm up tight and drove to hospital, where I was stitched up.
No blood!...well.. about as much as a shaving cut. I had simply flayed my arm for a 3/4" by 8" flap.
The stitching bothered me more than the rest, actually. It's like injections. the idea of somebody else actualy _doing_ that stuff to you and you can't thump their face in! <G>
I also believe _this_ story. I bought a Dozer off a couple of young guys from the bush and got to know them quite well. Their uncle had died and they were clearing out his property. He was a tough old bugger, from a few stories I heard. He lived really simple and rough, a long way from anywhere, at the top of a mountain with a view to die for....hmmm... Anyway. One day he was sawing firewood wood on a tractor-powered bench saw, and a piece flew up and opened up his forehead. He sewed it up with needle and cotton.

There was an article in the paper about a week ago about a woman in Mexico that delivered her own baby by C-section. Made the cut and did the sew up herself. I'd believe your story. Ed