Circular saw injury

Page 1 of 4
My friend was doing some cutting with his circular saw. He propped the blade guard open (danger danger). After finishing a cut, as the blade was spooling down, he stepped into the blade. At first he thought he wrecked a pair of shorts, but a second later the blood really started flowing. He ended up slicing open his thigh, missing his "hammer" by inches. At the hospital, the wound ended up being over 6" long, and 1" from the carotid artery. Lucky for him the cut was not into the muscle, or tendons. He took 50 stitches and is laid up for about a week. I think he's pretty lucky, he could have lopped of his "hammer" or cut the artery (not sure which would be worse. Hope this inspires you, as it has me, to be extra careful with our saws.
Matt

Maybe society would have better off if he had severed his wang. Unless, of course, he has already reproduced.
todd

Seems to be the standard response for doing something stupid, however, the person that has never done something stupid doesn't exist and that goes for all ages.
What's really stupid though is not learning from the stupid mistakes from which we've survived mostly intact.
wrote in message

I'd say there's a big difference between doing something that, in retrospect, looked stupid, and doing something that is patently dangerous from the beginning. This isn't a case of after the fact saying "gee, I guess that was kinda dangerous". I'm sure his buddy knew it was dangerous, but with forethought modified a fairly dangerous tool to be about 10 times more dangerous. Hopefully, he doesn't try to repeat the feat.
todd

Carotid artery runs through the neck. You're thinking of the femoral?
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:58:12 -0700, Father Haskell
Like most guys. Thinking with the wrong part of their anatomy again....

Nah. Clearly he had his head up his arse...

You STILL have to be smarter than the tool! I have one (an old Crapsman) that the blade guard has been locked open for a long time because no matter what, it tries to bind and pull the saw when starting the cut. I've had it apart, cleaned, lubed, un-lubed, etc., still does it. Solution: lock the dern thing open or remove it! Just remember to keep the brain in gear at all times.
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

I'd throw that saw away & use a handsaw until I could afford a replacement! But then I got to see daily the huge scar & reduced function (including minimal grip) a college roommate had. He was a contractor working with the guard pinned open, had a bind, and did a pretty good job of trying to cut his arm off on a diagonal from the wrist to the elbow.
-- Mark
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:13:44 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

Nahmie, hie thee to a Sears and pick up a P-C 347 (or 743 if you prefer a left blade) on closeout for about $80 and end this danger and frustration.
Please.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

LRod, Thanks for the kind thoughts and advice. Now, as per Paul Harvey, "the rest of the story" - The Crapsman has been gathering dust for some time, as I did go and get a P-C 743 before Woodworkers Warehouse went out of business. What a difference! Also, I must say I "fudged" the story a tiny bit. I had been using the Crapsman ONLY on a home-made cutting guide for a long time, as it was sooooooo frustrating to try and use free-hand. While on the guide, it wasn't turned on until everything was clamped and the saw was sitting on the guide, and when done with the cut it remained sitting on the guide until it spun down. I will admit I had used it occasionally with the guard pinned open when really necessary, but not something I like to do.
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:32:49 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

I'm glad to hear that (as well as the rest of the story). It's a shame they closed down. It sure was handy having it close by like that. I have a cousin that runs the gas station/convenience store/car wash/U-Haul place on Fairmont Av. down the street from the mall. My aunt (his grandmother) used to live in Lakewood, so I could get to the Warehouse whenever we visited. Now she lives in Jamestown on William Street up above what used to be General Hospital (I think--it's an ALF now). Still less than ten minutes away, but sadly, no matter.
Hey, we're going to be up there around the last week in July. Want to meet for a cup of joe and some WW BS? Ping me on the backchannel for my cell #.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Sat, Jun 19, 2004, 10:13am snipped-for-privacy@madbbs.com (NormanD.Crow) claims:. You STILL have to be smarter than the tool! I have one (an old Crapsman) that the blade guard has been locked open for a long time because no matter what, it tries to bind and pull the saw when starting the cut. I've had it apart, cleaned, lubed, un-lubed, etc., still does it. Solution: lock the dern thing open or remove it! Just remember to keep the brain in gear at all times.
I have an old (bought about 1976) B&D circular saw. Upon occassion the guard "binds" a tad, when starting a cut.
Solution? HOLD the guard up, using the ltab provided for that purpose, then when the cut is started, release the tab. Works every time.
Let's put it this way. Anything Homer Simpson would do, I won't.
JOAT Use your brain - it's the small things that count. - Bazooka Joe

these are the same guys that go around a curve too fast on a motorcycle, then when they slide on the gravel, grinding themselves into hamburger against the pavement, they blame the gravel.
but you said it best. you have to be smarter than the tool...
randy
If you have a larger hand, a safe way to prevent the guard from catching is to: operate the switch with the middle finger and extend the index finger to hold the guard back. YMMV, but it works for me with 7-1/4" Makita, Dewalt and PC saws.
10/10/2/1 - count 'em everytime!

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:40:36 -0400, "Eric Ryder"

Given that final statement, I feel free.
I repeated what you said in the first paragraph to my wife, and now I feel inadequate.
"Big hands, worth counting" _she_ said!
YIMV <G>
Sorry. I reminds me of an article on TV about ballet dancer Nureyev. They showed him walking naked in the surf. I remember thinking herrrrh! There were several complaints from guys and their partners on the "feedback" section of that channnel about the "male half" suddenly feeling impotent! <G>. It was quite scary. It may have actually been scary for both partners.
I actually wondered if he had any _feeling_ left in the end! <G>
I mean I enjoy swimming, but.......

I think someone should develop a SawStop for hand held circular saws and then get the government to make it mandatory for them.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

now there's a dangerous tool. imagine the kick of a skil77 when the blade stops in 1/10th of a second. it works on a cabinet saw because of the mass of the tool. a handheld would be pulled out of your hand....
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:14:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Guys, guys. Did you think, just for a moment, that I might have been making a little joke?
ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...plink...growr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr-rowr.
Get the net, Bonnie, I got a big one.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Damn, I wanted to see if they would do the "hot dog" demonstration.