Circular saw followup

I wasn't really impressed with most of what I saw at the home centers. Karl, I couldn't find the Makita 5007NB you recommended; the closest thing I saw was a

5007MG (apparently the same thing with a magnesium base), and I almost bought it. Looking at the "Made in China" label made me decide to keep looking.

I was tempted by the electric brake on the DeWalt 369, but that, too, is made in China.

Leon, your comments about left-blade saws being originally intended for leftys made a lot of sense -- more sense than the advertising hype about "direct line of sight". I agree with you, that it's better to watch the guide marks on the shoe than the blade itself. "Direct line of sight" also means "direct line of flying debris".

Finally settled on a Bosch CS10, which I think Keith suggested, from a locally-owned tool distributor -- made in the U.S.A., too.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this. Now to go cut some wood!

Reply to
Doug Miller

Awesome... a German tool, made in the USA! :-) Doesn't get any better than that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Lexus Mercedes BMW Subaru

LOTS of really good shit made in the USA.

As an aside and maybe of interest: I took my daughter's Mazda, my Subaru and the Business/family Safari in for RustProtection/oiling whateverthehellit'scalled. A friend of mine owns a Krown outfit so scheduling wasn't a problem. I drove them in, one by one over 3 days, and took a seat in the air conditioned office and read some magazines. Now, these guys have barcode scanners that give then ideal location points for the injections and that is where they drill. The Safari whoop whoop, airdrill..whoop whoop and all holes were drilled in a few minutes. Same thing with the Mazda. Then the Subaru's turn..whoo..JHFC..whoo..G*DDMNNN whooFARK.. this went on for 10 minutes.... I asked him "whasssamadda, Jake?" Answer: "It's one of them #$%^&*@#$%^&* Japanese Subaru bodies....."

And I sooooo love to smirk....

Shane, a long time employee of the Volvo/Subaru dealership, took an Impreza up north and was confronted by a stunned deer and did a very hard turn/braking action which put him on his roof ofter glancing of a shale wall just to get T-boned by a pick-up coming from the other direction. He hurt his neck when he unbuckled his seatbelt and crashed into the roof. The door opened. He called Glen, the owner of the dealership and asked for a lot, separately from the big Volvo lot, so he could sell nothing but Soobies.

Ugly yes. Tough as motherfarking nails....yup.

Reply to
Robatoy

One more thing to watch out for Doug, your comment about the magnesium base reminded me, many of these saws are down right heavy and IIRC the Makita, which I have the most experience using other than my Festool and a cheapo B&D I use for fence building, is a heavy saw, IMHO. The magnesium base might be a plus on any saw. Pick those suckers up and swing them around before you buy.

OH! you bought the Bosch....never mind...... Enjoy the saw!

Reply to
Leon

And why I bought my youngest daughter a Forrester way back when.

Reply to
Swingman

When Emily wants to take a burn out-of-town, I toss her my keys....

Reply to
Robatoy

Angela loves those new-fangled Forresters. Last one we looked at was available with a real motor, and leather, and sunroofishness... and a big chunk-o-cash.

Something that starts at mid-20's goes to the best end of 40 real quick.

Reply to
Robatoy