Circular Saw Fence not parallel to blade.

The fence on my PC circular saw is about 1/16" out of parallel. Is there any easy way to fix this? Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Buy a Dewalt DW364. It has a fine adjustment of parallel.

I'm on my 3rd one, my first was bought in 92 or 93. It burned out in

  1. I bought a new one in 04. Some one stole it in 05. Got a new one a week later. Now I keep it locked up so well, I hate having to get it out to work with it.

Tom in KY, my cordless saw is a PC, no adjustment found to make it closer to parallel.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

a hammer or place the fence in a vice and bend it until it's closer

you asked for easy......it's what I've done with several Skil saws after others had dropped them or stuffed them in the crossbox with six nail guns and two other saws.......

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Reply to
Mike Berger

Thu, Jan 5, 2006, 7:24pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay=A0Pique) who doth lament: The fence on my PC circular saw is about 1/16" out of parallel. Is there any easy way to fix this? Thanks.

I ran into t hat seme problem on my chain saw. So I decided to just do without the fence.

I'd say if you want reasonable accuracy with a circular saw, use a straight edge, not a fence.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I ran into t hat seme problem on my chain saw. So I decided to just do without the fence.

This just ain't right - who's going to pay for a new keyboard?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I *do* use a straightedge. Usually it's my speedsquare, but for knocking down large sheetgoods sometimes I use a long straightedge. The problem is that the blade wants to wander away from the line when I push the fence tight to the straightedge. Looks like I need a bigger hammer....

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

i've been using circular saws for 35 years, never used a fence yet, toss it out. as for as fences go: skil is the worst, pc is ok, milwaukees work real well.

Reply to
steve

How do you know which fences are good if you haven't used one in 35 years?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Fri, Jan 6, 2006, 5:12am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net doth boasteth: Buy a Dewalt DW364. It has a fine adjustment of parallel. I'm on my 3rd one, my first was bought in 92 or 93. It burned out in

  1. My little B&D was given to me in 1982 or 1983. Still works, still use it. To cut straight, I use a straight edge. I got one of the el cheapo, around -6, carbide tip blades a few years back, and it cuts just like an expensive saw.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

The Jay Pique entity posted thusly:

Or a slicker solution...

  1. 'Shim' the fence with a small bolt if you can figure out a way to do it without causing the both head to snag against a straightedge
  2. Just yesterday, I gave a friend a straightedge with a 'base' that he was to cut with his saw in order to produce a straightedge that he can use to set right on the marks to get an accurate cut.

Later that afternoon, I saw an even better solution, in a book I got from the library. It's called "Shop-Built Jigs and Fixtures", by Woodsmith Magazine (Oxmoor House), ISBN 0-8487-2677-4.

The basic idea is a straightedge with a base that aligns with the saw blade, but the slick part is that the straightedge has a slot in it that mates with a 'sled' that holds your circular saw. One main advantage is that when you put the saw in the sled, it's held captive, so you don't have to worry about holding it against the straightedge, as it cannot wander left or right.

The advantage for you is that you can build it such that the saw can be positioned correctly and repeatably in the sled.

Larry

Reply to
Oleg Lego

It sounds to me that some people are taking "fence" to mean an edge guide and others to mean the the saw's base plate.

Are you asking about the adjustable guide that can be removed from the saw or about the base plate that is part of the saw?

I'm not into circle saws, but I have never seen one where the alignment of the edge of the base plate to the blade can be adjusted (other than bending something).

Reply to
abukosky

Maybe I've misled some of you folks. What I mean is that the edge of the sole plate on which the saw slides across the wood is not parallel to the blade. I guess fence was the wrong word.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique