Circular Saw Burning/Smoking Problem

Page 1 of 2

Hello all,
As an intermediate woodworker/DIY'r, I am surprised to be having trouble with my new circular saw. I am attempting to cut through 1'' stair noses, but my brand new Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through the wood and smokes excessivly. I finally used a jig saw to finish the cut and noticed that the wood was black from burning.
Any thoughts? I've never experienced this with my 18v Ryobi cordless saw, and I use it pretty hard. This saw even smoked while cutting a 1'' bamboo stair tread, which the Ryobi cut effortlessly.
Thanks in advance,
Joe
<snip>

> Skill 7 1/4'' saw can barely cut through the wood and smokes > excessivly.
Are you sure the blade's not in backwards?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

I don't think so, but I should probably triple check.
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

Ok, so I have triple checked, and I'm sure that the blade is on correctly. The arrows on the blade match those on the saw, and the teeth are pointed upwards at the front of the saw. Any other thoughts, or is it back to the home depot in hopes of a return (Don't know if they will be happy about taking it back, since the whole thing STILL smells like smoke.
jm
jmyszka wrote:

jmyszka wrote:

This is a table saw, right? and the teeth point *upward* at the front???
The blade is on backward. If you don't believe this, try turning it around and see what happens.
Harvey
No, it's a Skil 7 1/4" circ saw, per the OP.
Joe wrote:

Er! no its a circular handsaw.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Either the teeth need sharpening on the blade or the motor is getting snagged?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I wouldn't think the teeth need sharpening, both the blade and saw are brand new, right out of the box. Maybe its just a crappy saw?
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

jmyszka wrote:

Probably, cant you use it to cut the sunday beef joint. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Think about it. All the saw motor does is spin the blade. If the blade is burning the wood, then the blade must be...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

try cutting an ordinary 2x4. You might have to put a new blade on the saw. Are you sure you didn't hit a nail and knock the carbide teeth off or damage the saw blade?

Is it a carbide blade? Some of the Skil saws come with a steel blade... which dull almost instantly on things like oak!
Alternatively, it is possible you are twisting the saw as you push it through? Sometimes manually retracting the blade guide takes the stress off and you can push it through straighter.
John

That's supposed to read "blade gaurd."

Let's try this again... "blade guard." It's time for bed... ;~)
Lots of saws, even fairly pricey table saws, come with lousy blades. That would be the first thing I tried. Replace the blade.

Is there ANY possibility that you have the blade installed backwards?????
--
Regards,
The arrows on the blade face the same direction as the arrow on the saw. There are no nails in the wood from what I can tell.