circular saw blade cut depth

From a P-C circular saw instruction manual:
"It is recommended that the depth of cut be adjusted so that the saw blade just protrudes through the thickness of material being cut."
Is this true, untrue or perhaps generally true? Does the same hold for a table saw I assume?
Up till now, with my circular saw, I've set it deeper. I imagined the blade moving along taking little bites from the underside. I've got some panels to cut for cabinet ends and the back of a peninsula and tear-out on the bad side isn't important.
thanks
PJ
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:50:01 -0600, p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p_j) wrote:

They tell you that for safety. Less blade poking out past the work piece means less chance of cutting thing syou don't want cut, like stray fingers, knees, electrical cords, etc.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
The question isn't "are there weapons of mass destruction?", the question is "who has them now?"
http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/testimony/default.asp http://www.strategypage.com/iraqwar/iraqweaponsgap.asp
: From a P-C circular saw instruction manual: : : "It is recommended that the depth of cut be adjusted so that the saw : blade just protrudes through the thickness of material being cut." : : Is this true, untrue or perhaps generally true? Does the same hold for a : table saw I assume?
The arguments are rehearsed on my web site. Please look under Circular Sawbench Safety - Saw Blades.
Jeff G
-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website www.amgron.clara.net

Thanks for that Jeff, I know more than I did before.