Circular planes

Can anybody who owns a Stanley or Record #20 or #113 tell me what the radius measurements are for the tightest curves these planes will follow? Patrick Leach's website doesn't seem to offer up this information:
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm#num20 http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num113
Thanks.
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

Steve Turner asks:

This will drive me nuts for a bit. I've got a new E.C.E. compass plane out in the shop: it is adjustable, and goes from concave to convex in the process, so the possibilities change a lot. They're probably not infinite, though. Nice cutting tool.
Charlie Self
"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

This may not be very scientific, but I put my 113 on its side an drew intersecting perpendicular lines from the heel and toe. I get about 9 1/2" radius with the sole concave (planing a convex surface) and a little more, maybe 10" to 10 1/4" with the sole convex. I have never tried to plane anything this tight, so I can't comment on that aspect.
Ken Vaughn
"Ken Vaughn" wrote in inresponse to...

Sounds pretty close to my Stanley Victor 20 - I measured it out once and I think it was around or just under 10" both ways. I just didn't write it down.
--
Cheers,
Howard

Just went out to garage/shop and cranked the 113. Got pretty much the same results as Ken. Never had a reason to plane at the extremes of the 113. Regards, Hank
Thanks guys. If any of you hang out over at rec.crafts.woodturning, you probably know why I'm asking. Having been a drummer for most of my life (since I was 10) I've always wanted to make some of my own drums. This past weekend I put together the basic shell of a 14" snare drum from 20 staves of Mesquite, and I'm looking for the best way to true it up on both the inside and outside surfaces. Short of spending two grand on a new lathe big enough to handle the job, I've been toying with making a couple of compass planes instead (somebody at r.c.w also suggested this approach). I didn't think either the #20 or #113 would go that tight, but I just thought I'd ask to be sure.
That new lathe is gonna justify itself yet! :-)
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

Steve Turner wrote:

If you own a router you might be able to make a couple jigs that would allow you to true up almost any sized drum shell. Possibly even one that is not straight sided.
Email me if you're interested, I'll try to explain.
Al McClure ---- snipped-for-privacy@gwis.com
Alan McClure wrote:

Al, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I think I can picture one (or more) ways of making a jig to do the outside of the shell, but it seems like doing the inner surface would be a bit more problematic. It could probably be done in a drum of this size without too much trouble, but it might not be possible with smaller (or deeper) drums. Of course, the smaller drums could just be done on the lathe.
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:29:00 GMT, Steve Turner

I don't have one but logic dictates that the tightest radius would be roughly half the length of the plane's sole in min OD or min ID planing positions. It's probably in the 5-7" range.
Use a Miller Falls #1 cigar spokeshave for smaller radii.
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

The sole might bend that much without permanent deformation, but I doubt it. But no matter, the radius is controlled by a screw mechanism (double screw actually), and it doesn't have enough travel to even approach the 5" to 7" range. 9" to 10" is a better figure.
Ken Vaughn