Christmas - What do you want as gifts ?

Page 1 of 2
What's a good gift for woodworkers ? Put them up here, then point SWMBO at the list.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/index.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2
One of each, please

This marking guage is on my list. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageI133&category=1,42936&ccurrency=2
If you want something with twice the function and twice the cost, try the one from Lie-Nielsen http://lienielsen.com/tool.html?id=MARK
The sliding bevel always seems to receive high praise as well. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page2593&category=1,42936,50298,43508&ccurrency=2
This router is on my list. Of course we need some bits. Someone can probably help us both with suggestions.
A direct quote from Igor's post:
Bosch 1617EVSPK. Usual $220 Amazon price for unit w/ 2 bases. Amazon is offering some extra bells and whistles with it, "$100 accessory package": centering cone, 5/8-, 7/16-, and 5/16-inch template guides, dust hood (though they do not tell you which one), and fine adjustment extension knob. (watch URL wrap) (Amazon.com product link shortened)99779651/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-4973061-3549764?v=glance&s=home-garden&nP7846
And, you can get $25 off if you stop here first for details: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
If you haven't had a chance to use a Bosch 1590 EVSK, it can be a real eye opener. I love mine. I recently used it _instead_ of the bandsaw to cut things that could have gone either way.
$169.99 at amazon.com.

without it. It would have been tricky trying to negotiate the 7 foot by 16 inch by 1 5/8inch thick piece of cherry around a bandsaw. The 1590 didn't even hesitate...
TWS

I find I have to stop short when I describing this saw. It is almost a spiritual experience to use. Try turning the speed down to almost zero and just feel the buttery smooth action. I think if I could only have one saw, this would be it. I doubt anyone will go back to a "cheap" saw after using this one.

and 'experiencing' one. I was 'saved'...
Bosch should give these away to WW schools - they'd sell a million of them.
TWS
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:15:43 +0000, Andy Dingley

been good enough this year).
The problem with SWMBO buying tools is we need to be VERY specific about the tool - saying a #4 Smoothing plane is a recipe for disaster - how ya gonna replace it with the one you really want?
TWS
TWS wrote:

I give them URLs. :)
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:12:47 -0500, Silvan

TWS

*groan* Yeah, I'm the somewhat umm... proud? owner of a "Tool Shop" drill press and a "Duracraft" plunge router after last year. Definately not what I would have chosen- but she did try, and I've gotten some limited use out of both. So, this year I did what I used to do with my parents- only ask for one thing, very specific, and tell them that if they can't find it, can't afford it or just don't want to give me it, I'll just take a gift card! (this year, it was this bad boy here- http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageI708&category=1,41182,41186&ccurrency=2&SIDI told her that if I get it, I won't be *forced* to go out and get a jointer.)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:32:47 -0600, Prometheus

TWS
<snip>

That's a really sweet plane. I have the LV LA Smoother - same plane, somewhat shorter.
Rumor has it that a bevel-up version of the #7 is in the works, from LV, and/or LN.
I left a 'tagged' copy of the LV Christmas specialty catalog on the wife's desk yesterday. Now I have to behave. Last year, I screwed up by buying several tools for myself while working on her Christmas presents. My eldest son ratted me out, when they went tool shopping for me. "Dad already bought one of those last week." She was 'agitated'. Yeah, that's the polite word for p#ssed.
There were a couple of Bessey 50" K's under the tree, though. And a nice sized gift cert from the local Rockler.
Patriarch, who is enjoying his new/old 'quiet jointer'...
Andy Dingley wrote:

I want more room so I can start drooling over tools again. I really am getting ridiculously full up.
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

I put Lee Valley's early holiday catalog next to the downstairs' porcelain throne and told anyone interested that they couldn't go wrong throwing a dart, if they had to.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/severe/cxt.asp
I need something to bring wood home.
Wayne
Clamps... Every woodworker needs clamps.

True, clamps are the big part of my list as well. Never hurts to have an extra around, but it always sucks to need one more than you have.

A Shopfox mortising machine is tops on my list. We've even got a local store (Warren Cutlery, yeah, the hand tools manufacturers) that sells them.
--
Keith