Christmas lights

Off topic, but i know there's a lot of normal, reasonable people here.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know is where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you know which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and links are appreciated.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Ask in comp.home.automation.

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know is where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you know which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and links are appreciated.

Reply to
Josepi

thanks!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Try a Google search for "holiday lighting controller". There are a number of web sites with basic instructions and retailer that have put together different controller packages.

Here are some examples.

Nova

The first link I posted was the wrong one. It should have been:

Nova

Thanks for the reply. I've already run across the Lightorama stuff like on the wowlights dot com site.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Cool! that joint is in KC and I'm just south of there.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Right about now, Steve, I'm glad you live a couple thousand miles away from me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I would seriously think several times if i lived in those yuppie neighborhoods with the 8 foot spacing. My closest neighbor is a half mile, and it's my son. After that, the next house is two miles. I would have to have a word with all my neighbors BEFORE embarking on such a thing if i lived in town. We went out tonight on a 6 hour tour and saw several systems i probably wouldn't want to live next to.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not much use being distant from light displays these days. Thousand Christmas Lights disease epidemic seems to be spreading exponentially. I've seen several of them in Toronto with their light displays 3x brighter than Toronto's Pearson airport.

Reply to
Upscale

A modest display is nice. Some of these displays are probably the same people that "need" a Hummer to go to the grocery store too. I just don't get it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hey ... they have to outdo the Halloween lights they put up, and none too soon, after all.

Farking Halloween farking lights, ferrcrrisssakes ...

Reply to
Swingman

It's not the light displays that bother me. It's the "putting them to music" that gets me -- seems that there aren't any quiet places left any more.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh the music is not loud speakered, it's transmitted on FM, you tune your car radio to it. (or not)

Reply to
Steve Barker

----------------------------------- Try sailing.

You just need to get far enough off shore to get away from the shore side light pollution at night and the friggin stink boats in the day time.

15-20 miles usually does it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ahh, that's very different. Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I live in Indianapolis, remember, Lew? Nearest body of water in which it's possible to be 15 miles from any shore is Lake Michigan, nearly 200 miles away.

Reply to
Doug Miller

---------------------------- Precisely what I had in mind.

Don't even have to leave the state of Indiana.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you haven't experienced any yet, i implore you to drive around or google them out and go see some. They are quite impressive.

Reply to
Steve Barker