Christmas Gift Idea -- Feedback?

Isabel knocked out our power for 5 1/2 days so my power tools got a rest. To avoid the most serious withdrawal symptoms, one evening I took part of a project outdoors, put it on a couple sawhorses and started making dust with a coping saw. When the fairly heavy piece of wood started sliding around I went back in the dark garage/shop & came out with a couple of clamps.

While tightening the first clamp a thought hit me like a ton of bricks -- clamps are the single biggest "secret" of woodworkers that "Joe Handyman" needs to know. Clamps are so easy and so useful, but in my experience are totally unknown by the guy or gal who has a tool box, a hacksaw and a handsaw. Certainly I knew nothing about them before the ww bug bit me in the hindquarters & I started reading books etc.

Growing up I "helped" my Dad build a doghouse and a simple study desk. ISTM the hand sawing was about the same effort as the two of us trying to hold the boards still while cutting. I built some truly butt-ugly-but-useful things as a teen, and again I recall the boards moving all over the place while I was cutting them. A couple weeks ago I watched a neighbor kneeling on something he was cutting and still having to hang onto it with the other hand while cutting.

I'm thinking of sending a couple of Jorgensen light duty clamps to the 10 households on my Christmas list. I'll include a write-up, "I know you won't use these very often, but those one or two times a year you cut something with your saw you'll find these very useful. ... "

Question: What size clamps are appropriate? One 6" and one 12"? Two 6"'s? One 12", one 18"?

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Hi Mark;

Remember me? I'm your cousin J.B., in California.

I think a couple or four Bessy 36" K-body clamps would be perfect. You could send 'em out in one of those cardboard tubes. I can say with certainty you'd be greatly acknowledged for your discriminating gift sense.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I did give a gift of clamps last year. Home Depot had a gift pack of about

4 or 5 different clamps. They were well received.

I'd say better to error on the larger size. I have a couple or small Quick Clamps that I curse often. They are maybe 10" and just seem to be undersized all too often; they just look bigger than they are. I'd go with one 6" for the smaller stuff, and an 18" or 24" that will handle most home handyman needs. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Those would sure be collectors' items. Mine go 31-40.

Reply to
George