Christmas clock

I can't find the post or article that inspired this design, so it was yours please let me know!

This clock is off to Mom for Christmas. Green ash, from a tree I took out of the back yard a couple of years ago.

About 5" long.

I turned the opening with a combination of small bowl gouge, scraper and bedan at 500 rpm. It was touch and go at times, as the ash was very dry. I had to stop several times after small catches and reseat the piece in the chuck.

Once I had that turned, I chucked inside the opening and shaped the teardrop.

For the bottom flat I used my stationary belt sander.

It's finished with tung oil and paste wax.

If I had to do it again (and wasn't under the time pressure of Christmas shipping across the continent) I'd buy the proper sized forstener bit and drill the blank before it got near the lathe. As it "turned out" I had the piece between centers, chucked with a tenon, screwed to a face plate, AND chucked inside the hole for the clock by the time I was done.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Nice looking work Dave and a great design. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis