Choosing table saw

Both Homey's Despot and Blowes give 10% discounts for veterans. I hadn't known that until now, either.

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope. Active Duty, and Retired. Not for vets.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"In February, Lowe?s expanded its military discount program to give all active, reserve, and retired military members and their immediate family members a 10% discount everyday."

P.S: Retired = veteran, Mike.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ray: I used one of the old 1970's Craftsman, open bottom "Contractor's" saws for 25 years. It seems like they must have made millions of them and I was proud of it when I bought it new. It was underpowered, the blade-tilt hand-wheel required both hands to make adjustments, it vibrated, had a loose miter gage and the fence was not good. But it worked, and I cranked out some pretty nice projects.

When I upgraded to my Grizzly 1023s 10 years ago it was like moving from a garden tractor to a Lexus (well, maybe a slight exaggeration ~:^} ). The 1023s is smooth, the fence has required very infrequent adjustment, the stock miter gage is good, but not wonderful, the hand- wheels are smooth as silk, and it has power to handle anything I need to do.

I also mentioned using our son's Grizzly contractor saw. The only comparison between the his Grizzly and the Craftsman was general size and appearance. The Griz has cast iron table wings like the 1023s. The handwheels are smooth. The fence is very similar to my Grizzly/ Shop Fox fence and the overall operating characteristics are fairly similar to my Grizzly cabinet saw. It is just a little smaller, open bottomed and has 2hp instead of 3hp.

Your work examples clearly show you are an advanced woodworker. I certainly won't say that an upper end contractor's saw or a cabinet saw will make you a better woodworker. I will say it will make woodworking easier and more enjoyable.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

--------------------------------- My son has a DW745 that he uses around home for DIY projects.

It serves his purpose; however, it is a direct drive and certainly not be confused with a decent contractor's saw.

Did a search "R4512 table saw"" on Home Depot web site and came up empty except for a couple of direct drive mobile units.

Somehow, think you will be ultimately disappointed with that level of product.

Again I'll repeat, start with the FENCE, then think about the saw.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I'm a veteran and I'm retired but I'm not a retired veteran.

Max (Retired Deputy Fire Chief, El Paso Fire Department, '53 - '86) (US Army, Korea, '50 - "51)

Reply to
Max

I'll second that opinion. The undercarriage on the HD and Craftsman saws is getting almost flimsy by comparison to whtthey sold in the seventies. And the tilt "bearings" on the Delta 14" Band saw are flimsy (1/16") Pot-metal that have broken twice since I got the unit (used) two years ago.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up buying the R4512 from Home Depot. They gave me the 10% veterans discount with no questions asked. I did show them my DD412. The saw went together in about 3 hours. Out of the box the blade aligned to the miter slot to better than .002".

I did see a Delta unisaw on craigslist for $550. It is 25 years old and kinda beat and who knows what I would be getting. My son who bought the Shop Fox says he would have bought the Ridgid if it had been available when he bought his. That helped sell me. The lifetime waranty was also a factor. So far I am happy with the saw. I am sure that there are a lot better saws, but this one is such an improvement over the old one I am not sure I would notice the difference.

I put pictures of the old and new saw on the first link at the bottom of this message.

Reply to
Ray