Choosing table saw

Page 2 of 2
Ray wrote:

My son has a DW745 that he uses around home for DIY projects.
It serves his purpose; however, it is a direct drive and certainly not be confused with a decent contractor's saw.
Did a search "R4512 table saw"" on Home Depot web site and came up empty except for a couple of direct drive mobile units.
Somehow, think you will be ultimately disappointed with that level of product.
Again I'll repeat, start with the FENCE, then think about the saw.
Have fun.
Lew
"Ray" wrote:

Impressive work.
When it comes to a table saw, you buy the best fence you can find and let the saw take care of itself.
IMHO, Lowes, Home Depot and Sears are not in the serious table saw business.
About all they have to offer is price.
I'd take a look at Grizzly or SawStop if safety is a primary concern.
Grizzly is offering a 10" hybrid for about $800 delivered that may interest you.
Have fun.
Lew
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:21:23 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Nobody in their right mind would consider SawStop in the "medium price range", Lew. That's what he asked about.

Right you are. The Griz G0715P was what I was going to get before I decided to build a CNC router table instead. I've not enough dough for both. <sigh> I'm still in research mode, reading a couple of DIY CNC books.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

That is good to hear. It is a whole new world out there once you get to tell your router where to go and what to do. CNC machines are as varied as the operators which is especially true with home-built devices. One word of advice which was offered to me and I want to pass along: Focus on getting a spindle rather than a regular router. Then buy the right software. Two things I am happy I didn't skimp on.
Ray wrote:

I just want to join those who are impressed by your work in saying so. Do you have any suggestions or advice you might share?
Bill

Ray, you certainly have a lot of beautiful work !!!
I think that http://www.finewoodworking.com/ is also an excellent place to look for Quality tools and reviews as well as http://lumberjocks.com /
I hope you find what your looking for :-)
Thanks for sharing your wonderful work.

I, also would recommend looking at Grizzly. They provide a lot of value for your bucks.
I personally have owned a Grizzly 1023s for about ten years and I love it. I was looking at saws that were 30-80% more expensive when I bought it (Unisaw, Jet, Powermatic); but I have all of the utility they could provide and it has held up well under fairly heavy home use. Their current 1023RL is probably a close comparison; and their new Polar Bear G0715P also appears to be similar (except 2hp vs 3 hp). Right now you can get Polar Bears at a good introductory price. I just bought one of their Polar Bear versions of the G0453 planer and it duplicates the green version except for paint and a better switch/ switch mount.
You might also look at their contractor's saw. However, the cost of some of them can approach the Polar Bear cabinet saw above. They used to offer a version similar to the G0438 and our son owns one. I used it for 3-4 weeks while we were helping him finish his house and it is a nice machine. It uses an aluminum version of the steel Shop Fox fence, but after using it for a while I seemed to be pretty similar to mine in utility.
Here is a link to their saws page. However, you might also want to look at their catalog link (bottom of each saw's linked page) because several of their contractor's saws aren't on the site.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=530000
RonB
Thanks for all the responses. I ended up buying the R4512 from Home Depot. They gave me the 10% veterans discount with no questions asked. I did show them my DD412. The saw went together in about 3 hours. Out of the box the blade aligned to the miter slot to better than .002".
I did see a Delta unisaw on craigslist for $550. It is 25 years old and kinda beat and who knows what I would be getting. My son who bought the Shop Fox says he would have bought the Ridgid if it had been available when he bought his. That helped sell me. The lifetime waranty was also a factor. So far I am happy with the saw. I am sure that there are a lot better saws, but this one is such an improvement over the old one I am not sure I would notice the difference.
I put pictures of the old and new saw on the first link at the bottom of this message.