choosing a miter saw:

newsgroupers:

You must have bought a dud. Mine has no such problems and works great, and is accurate. Maybe I was lucky, or you were unlucky?

--

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

60 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer

- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw

- Festool CT22E Dust Extractor

- Fasco GN-40A Brad Nailer

- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

- Milescraft SignCrafter

Woodcrafter

If he'd inquired about a SCMS, i would have directed towards the Bosch, they RULE SCMS! Judging from the price, sounds like you bought the 12" NICE.

Reply to
Dave Jackson

something like that. this saw is one that hit the market right after the skil/bosch merger, and it's from the skil product line. the identical saw was released with the skil label on it.

Reply to
bridger

I am looking for a good miter saw. I was told by HD that i shouldn' think of Ryobi as their not accurate with the cuts. is this true? I' just starting a business and can't waste or invest so much right awa on a more "accurate" saw so the Ryobi's seemed a goo choice. What do you all think? yeah the laser is only good when up the dust bag sucks but what about the angles? is the 22.5 degree cu i want going to be that or -+ a bit? with what i do, a bit is a whol lot

I will be using it to cut and frame crown moulding on top and botto

areas of these

well as larger ticket items like this: [img:ecf4d82ede]
that, a client will look close and if the angles aren't on th

money, meaning a 45 isn't a 45 but a 46 or on a hex, if the 22.5 i more like a 23 then it's not going to sell. will this saw help ge the ball roling good enought or is the gauge off like HD says

Reply to
:wumpscut:

It's not.

The angles most likely will be off a lot more than a bit.

You'll probably end up using it as a boat anchor. In my opinion there is too much slop in Ryobi's saws to make them useful for anything other than framing.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Spoken like a true landlubber

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hi,

As far as precision is concerned on a mitersaw, you better make sure you tune it well and only good quality saws can be tuned properly and remained precise for a while. Cheap ones are almost impossible to set within fractions of 1 degree.

If you're looking for dead-on precision all the time, the mitersaw is not the right tool. Get yourself a tablesaw with a sled. That's almost the only way to make sure you're not gonna waste wood. If you've never seen one, basically, it's something like this:

you also raised the question of budget... A table saw, even a cheap one cost a little more than a good mitersaw so you may have to revise your initial investment on the up side.

Hope this helps.

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I won't hire you If you are willing to compromise on a cheap saw, I don't trust you to do good work. If you can't waste money, then you MUST invest in a good tool. If the miter saw is an important part of your business and you can't afford a $300 DeWalt over the $99 Ryobi, you are seriously underfunded and won't be in business long. Go to work for someone else and save up another $2500 or so before you think about going on your own. $10k would be better.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Makita, Bosch, and DeWalt are good choices for a chop saw. Ryobi is good for a belt sander where precision is not required. You will probably want to make or buy a portable miter saw station with a stop so you can duplicate cuts quickly and easily. Fussing with a saw is not something you want to do when time is important.

Reply to
Phisherman