chooing a router?

well i have 6 routers, 2 craftsman and 4 PC and by far i will take my PC over the snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net
It's best to unplug them before you start chooing.

Why do you have 6 routers?

You can never have too many routers.=) The old cabinetmaker that I was working with easily had a dozen, likely closer to twenty when I start to count and include broken ones. I'm deciding on my fifth, and that is just a start. Sometimes it's just easier to change routers than bits, take the router out of the table, then put back in an hour later, some are better for some tasks than others, some get set into jigs (or is that fixtures)... Think of them as a contemporary equivalent to hand planes or saws. Can you imagine a full time woodworker making due with just one or two of those? It all depends on your circumstance, the more you use something, the more you need them, the more of them you need.
HTH, jeffo
Toller asks:

Why on earth not? Very handy. I've got 8 or 9, depending on whether or not a friend remembers that "his" big PC is mine.
Charlie Self

The man who dies with the most routers wins. duh. SH
Apparently, he hasn't bought #7 yet.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:12:08 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Rob Spear) wrote:

PC over crapsman router? no brainer.
lesse... I have a 4HPish freud, 2 PC 690's, an oooold craftsman (so old it has an all metal body) a PC laminate trimmer, 2 foredom motors with prolly 6 or 8 handpieces and a makita die grinder. OK, so they all aren't really routers, but there is some overlap....
for the first router I'd recommend the PC690, I guess. it has enough power to do real work and it's light enough to handle around easily. The craftsman was my first one. got it at a pawn shop in downtown San Diego in the early eighties, and it was old then. I don't use it much anymore. I suppose I keep it around in case I have all of the others tied up in other processes and need to make a quick cut or something. even back then the collets were POS.
Bridger
1617 EVS Is a good one too. Thanks, Tony D.