Choice of planer

I am about to purchase a planer. I do not need a fancy unit but something near the bottom of the line. Does anyone have a preference or a caution about manufacturers or models of planers?

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

I have had the Ryobi from HD for about a year now and am quite happy with it.

Reply to
Paul O.

I bought a Delta TP300 a short time ago and I love it. I got it on ebay from Woodworkers Supply. It cost $175 including shipping. It's a refurbished unit, but I can't tell it from new. Hope this helps. Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

There are still some first and second generation, 12" and 12 1/2" respectively, Delta and Dewalt's on the market for not much money. Besides the 1/2" the second generation generation's difference over the first is a head lock to minimize snipe. The difference of both first and second generation from the third is that the third has two speeds and another 1/2" (13").

There are lots of people out there with both first and second generation machines, myself included, that get very good results from both. I believe I still see Delta and possibly De Walt at Lowe's..

Reply to
Mike G

No, you don't need something fancy. Don't forget about buying used... After resisting the urge to fork down plastic at the BORG, I found my Belsaw 9103 at the county surplus auction for $180. It can also be setup for as a moulding machine. It's built like a tank: heavy, on a stand, and wired for 220V.

If you opt for the suitcase type, remember to consider the $$$ you'll need for a stand and/or rollers.

SS

Reply to
Sam Schmenk

There's also a size and weight difference, which may or may not be important depending on one's needs.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I thought the "first generation" was the 10" machines :-). My Ryobi AP-10 is still plugging away, but it doesn't get heavy use. Maybe 50 hours a year.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thanks for all the comments. I believe I will spend a few days trying to find a reasonable machine on ebay. There are numerous Delta and DeWalt machines listed.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Forgot that. Ok, four generations.

Reply to
Mike G

Richard,

I've got the Delta TP300 Shopmaster 12" planer bookmarked on Amazon for $194.00 w/ free shipping. That's the best deal I've found - including eBay!

Reply to
Jeremy

I was in Lowe's a couple of days ago, and saw the Delta 12.5" planers on closeout for $225...

Doug Miller

Thanks for the comment. I was in Sears and compared the Craftsman, Delta, and DeWalt. I really liked the look of the DeWalt. I bid on one through eBay and it looks like I won. Cost me $225, used but supposedly in good condition.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline