Choice of planer

I am about to purchase a planer. I do not need a fancy unit but something near the bottom of the line. Does anyone have a preference or a caution about manufacturers or models of planers?
Dick

I have had the Ryobi from HD for about a year now and am quite happy with it.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

No, you don't need something fancy. Don't forget about buying used... After resisting the urge to fork down plastic at the BORG, I found my Belsaw 9103 at the county surplus auction for $180. It can also be setup for as a moulding machine. It's built like a tank: heavy, on a stand, and wired for 220V.
If you opt for the suitcase type, remember to consider the $$$ you'll need for a stand and/or rollers.
SS
There are still some first and second generation, 12" and 12 1/2" respectively, Delta and Dewalt's on the market for not much money. Besides the 1/2" the second generation generation's difference over the first is a head lock to minimize snipe. The difference of both first and second generation from the third is that the third has two speeds and another 1/2" (13").
There are lots of people out there with both first and second generation machines, myself included, that get very good results from both. I believe I still see Delta and possibly De Walt at Lowe's..
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
Mike G wrote:

There's also a size and weight difference, which may or may not be important depending on one's needs.

--
--John
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net says...

Ryobi AP-10 is still plugging away, but it doesn't get heavy use. Maybe 50 hours a year.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Forgot that. Ok, four generations.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

Richard,
I've got the Delta TP300 Shopmaster 12" planer bookmarked on Amazon for $194.00 w/ free shipping. That's the best deal I've found - including eBay!

closeout for $225...
I've used a Ryobi for 3 years, never had a problem. If you're short on cash, look for a "factory refurbished" planer. They're usually relatively inexpensive. RJ

Thanks for the comment. I was in Sears and compared the Craftsman, Delta, and DeWalt. I really liked the look of the DeWalt. I bid on one through eBay and it looks like I won. Cost me $225, used but supposedly in good condition.
Dick