chisels

Page 2 of 4

Hey Chuck, so sorry to be so late for a reply. Been a while since I used it so I had to get out my memory chip and plug it in.
The lever cap is old and with usual corrosion of over 100 years, but still useable. let's say the screw in the frog has that bevel underneath it's head, tapering to the shaft, so when the cap is tightened down, the top inner curvature of the hole slides down the distance of that screw's under-bevel.
I don't know if it is worn in or made to be that way, but below that "top inner curvature of the hole" there are two side-to-side bevels which the the screw's under-bevels will meet with perfectly. So we have something of a whole 1/8" of movement from down to up, of course dragging the blade with it, but for a shorter distance distance than 1/8", which is completely mal-adjusting the setting that I gave the blade when using the brass adjuster...
At the same time, when setting the blade for depth of cut, somehow it is always skewing itself and a final skew setting is always to one side or the other. I don't know if that is the result of the frog, which stands up off the floor of the bed at the mouth (throat) area about 3/32". I can't telll if it needs to be fettled by just looking at it. But obviously it seats on the reciever and all surfaces are flat....
I polished the lever cap spring and the back of the lever as smooth as possible so both will slide instead of grip and drag, but the blade is still coated with tacky Johnson's. After I had bought the new Hock HCS for it, I sharpened it and coated it but it took a great many bodily movements to get the blade adjusted properly, and then there was ... backlash? And then the same amount of readjusting.
There, I remebered you asked the question, and there are four paragraphs of explanation. I own eight Stanley planes, the 80 scraper and the...
LV-V-LABP.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Yikes, I can see why you aren't fond if it. I'm wondering if the frog screw wasn't a retrofit. Without having a plane in front of me to look at, I don't recall any double/mating bevels on frog screws.
The part that really concerns me is where you say the frog sits proud; it should be flush with the bed.
As for the skewing of the iron, when you are setting the plane up, how tight do you have the lever screw?
So how much did you pay for this monstrosity? ;-)

I'd rather not say how many I've got. ;-)
Chuck Vance
Add pictures here
✖

Not really wanting to step on this conversation, but...
I have a #6, of early '60's vintage, which I bought from a tool dealer who used to frequent these parts years ago, and used to put out a monthly list to various hand plane addicts. An unused old plane, without hassle, at a fair price, in great shape, from someone who clearly knew what he was selling, and planned on selling more of them as the years went on.
Yes, I paid more than eBay prices for this tool. But I didn't have to 'win' anything, play sniping games, worry about the seller, or even do all that much homework. The tool was sent on approval, and had I not found it to be what I needed, I was responsible to send it back. Otherwise, a personal check was sufficient. There is a lot to be said for that business model, and someone who is willing to make a go of that.
I wonder what Patrick is up to these days? I've seen no email list in some time. Maybe he still has an old address of mine.
Patriarch, nearing 3 dozen handplanes, and still nowhere near the most addicted in his neighborhood...
Add pictures here
✖
Patriarch wrote:

The August list may be some days late as I’ll be tool prowling on the day the list is supposed to be sent.
Joe in that neighborhood, too. But I'd have to look carefully to see how close.
Add pictures here
✖
Patriarch wrote:

Patrick is still up to the same old tricks. I'm still on his mailing list, as even though I'm not buying a lot planes these days, I love to see the sorts of things he uncovers; it's a history lesson in its own right.
I bought my first oldtool from him back about 8 years ago. It was a type 14 #4. I hardly use it anymore (I have too many smoothers that work better than it does), but I'll never forget opening that box and disassembling the plane while pondering its history.
It was all downhill from there ... on rollerskates ... with a jetpack on my back. :-)

Hmmm ... a quick mental count puts me at about 3 dozen as well. and then there are the spokeshaves ... and saws ... and chisels ... and ...
Chuck Vance (wheeeeeeeee!!!)
Add pictures here
✖
Conan The Librarian wrote:

PL is doing fine last I saw him, back in Feb/March, whenever our Patina auction was. MJD was there as well. Send him your addy to get back on the list, although I suspect he's still tool hunting as Chuck pointed out. Ass for 3 dozen planes, I'm in triple digits, with lots of spokeshaves. Google for a pic of mine entitled shelf3. I've got at least 3 dozen woodies. Jetpack? Yeehaw!
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Oooops, I forgot to include the woodies. :-) But I'm not a big collector of them or anything. Probably don't have more than 12-15. :-}
To be totally honest, I've been a bit of a slacker when it comes to buying tools. I took up flyfishing again a couple of years back, so now I've got another hobby that requires large amounts of gear. (Plus, if you ff, you *have* to tie your own flies, so that requires a whole different set of stuff.)
I can't seem to find your pic. Got a url for me?
Chuck Vance
Add pictures here
✖
Conan The Librarian wrote:

All is forgiven. My Father FFs also. Different slopes for different folks. TMdl I don't keep a website going, quit after I took down my old BBS. I'll scrounge it up and post it over on ABPW. It won't be current, the shelf is sagging now. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

I like it. :-) I've found that ff'ing is a particularly insidious slope. Not only is there all the gear and tying stuff to buy, but the places I want to fish the most require travel. In the last few years it's been the Madison River and Yellowstone Park in Moontana/Wyoming, the Crowsnest River in Canada and small streams in the western North Carolina mountains.
It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.

Let me know when it's up. I don't get the binaries groups, but can always check it out on Usenet Replayer.
Chuck Vance
Add pictures here
✖
Chuck, isn't your bench the one in SYP and has a thick leg vise?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
✖
AAvK wrote:

Yep. Here's a pic:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bench03.jpg
Chuck Vance
Add pictures here
✖

that SYP is incredible and I wish it could be attained out here on the west coast. My bench will be closer to "classic", I have an antique quick action iron 7x4 and I will make my own slide-frame end vise with two LV screws.
Questions if you don't mind,
What glue did you use for the top?
Are you a lefty (vise on the right)?
How well is the leg vise working for you?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
✖
AAvK wrote:

That bench was actually just intended to be my "first" one, with the idea being that I'd make my "dream" bench sometime down the road. But I expect it will outlive me. ;-)

Titebond Extend (for the longer open time)

Yep.

It does just about everything I could ask of it. The only problem I've really noticed is that it's not great for jointing long boards. But that's partially my own fault, as I never did build a proper bench slave for it, and instead try to joint boards by supporting them with that "swiss-cheese" board that runs along the front of the bench. (It has too much flex to be optimal.)
But the vise is great for holding boards for sawing dovetails, holding my planing stop/jig, jointing short boards, holding various odd-shaped things for spokeshaving and carving, etc.
Sometimes I think it might be nice to add an end-vise for planing, but if I had to have just one, I'd stick with the leg-vise.
Chuck Vance
Add pictures here
✖
All excellent info, thanks much because I need to learn.

I thought of placing a leg vise on the 'end front corner', it could be used three different ways that way. End vise for top board clamping and in-jaw clamping, and with dogs or whatever sticking out the side of the jaw for front board clamping with a bench slave and those front dog holes... or something like that.
And 'TB II extend' is also what I thought of for my top, but it will be hard maple... don't know if it's strong enough for time in the long run because maple isn't very porous... however I will be using threaded rod. How much glue did you use just for the top?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
✖
AAvK wrote:

Glad to help. I picked the brains of a number of folks from the Oldtools list and the wreck when I was planning my bench.

So you mean with the handle on the end of the bench? I suppose that would work OK. Just be aware that the leg and handle stick out, so they can tend to get in the way when you're not using them.
FWIW, I've found that unless I'm planing long boards, the leg vise doesn't come into play for holding boards on top of my bench. I've got a couple of planing stops (really nothing more than some 1/4" ply cut into strips) that I clamp to the benchtop using clamps that I've converted to holddowns (take a standard Jorgy 6" clamp and file the rivet at the bottom flat and you can remove the clamp head when needed). I run them through dogholes to secure the stops.
For thicker boards I use a pair of Veritas Wonderdogs in my dogholes. (A good reason to have round dogholes, but let's not get *that* discussion started. ;-)

IIRC, it was a bit less than a 16 oz. bottle.
FWIW, when I did my glueup I did a full test run (with clamps), numbered the boards, and clamped it up adding only one board at a time. (I.e., clamp, let dry overnight, and add one more the next day.) I was *very* careful to orient all the boards with the grain running the same direction (for ease of handplaning later), and to get one surface as close to dead flat as I could at the point of glueup. This made final flattening of the top a lot easier.
Chuck Vance
Add pictures here
✖
Conan The Librarian wrote:

It's up go take a look. He lives in Seattle, so he goes after salmon. kinda makes it worthwhile after dealing with trout.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Jeezus ... you've got it bad, man. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were a collector. ;-)

I'v never had the honor of fishing for salmon. But I can't imagine it's any more fun than fishing for wild trout in the mountains of North Carolina. That's where I went in early July, and while I've caught bigger fish elsewhere, I've never fished in such pretty surroundings:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/bradley01.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/cherohala02.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/little01.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/snowbirdfalls01.jpg
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/brown.jpg
Chuck Vance (yes, that was a gloat)
Add pictures here
✖
Born and raised and live in North Carolina.
I live on the ocean and always made fun of the "buggy whip" crowd fishing in the "ditch", but it really is beautiful on those little trout streams.
I have friends that will drive for six hours to go catch those tiny brown trout and they love it.
Conan The Librarian wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Pat Barber wrote:

I can relate. I flew for over three hours and then drove for another couple just to get to the cabin where I was staying on Big Snowbird. Then the hike was another hour and a half to get to the spot where I caught that brown.
And I'm dying to go back. :-)
Chuck Vance
Add pictures here
✖
Conan The Librarian wrote:

But I'm feeling MUCH better now. %-)

Very pretty. The UP is pretty too. First time I took my ex fishing she caught a 26 3/4" large mouth. Had to let it go though, out of season. That may have contributed to my divorce. 5-( Out in wolf Lake, they had HUGE trout, immense, bass sized. Hand fishing for tuna off a rubber ducky out in Guam was fun to. BIG fish. Can you say sashimi?
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net