Chisel tip protector covers where to buy?

Is there a source to buy a set of chisel tip protectors or a good homemade remedy?
henry wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p0022&cat=1,41504

Thanks for posting that. I've been using the protectors on my Marples chisels for the past 10 years, but one never knows when they will break or one grow legs and walk off. Link filed for future reference.

I guess this means that my folded-cardboard-wrapped-with-duct-tape protectors are insufficiently chic. But they are plenty cheap. -- "We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
And I thought I was cheap with my cottage-cheese-lid-wrapped- in-duct-tape protectors. You have outdone me. [nods head]
Art

Swimming pool liner clips should work pretty well. One clip would provide enough material for a lot of edge protectors.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I keep my chisels in a shop-made rack where they are easily accessible and the edges protected. The rack is just scrap wood with holes drilled in it and slots cut in one side of each hole. The rack has two L-screws in the back so I can hang it anywhere on my perforated wall board.
Phisherman wrote:

I'm the same. My chisels came with the little plastic guards, and I used them for a while.
Until one broke. Another got lost. My cat ate a third. The 1" protector was used in a failed sex experiment (don't ask)
Hanging the chisels on the perf board is safe for the edges and a lot more convenient than always taking and putting back on the protectors.
Tanus

    breathless,     jo4hn
I have never seen these at Lee valley. Either there new or I am blind. Either way thanks. They look perfect.
jo4hn wrote:

The reason I said don't ask is that both my lawyer and therapist have warned me against it. Actually so did the judge.
But I'm better now. I just use the perf. board.
Tanus

Lee Valley sells a set of every size you're likely to need for the grand sum of $5.25.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p0022&cat=1,41504

Henry,
I got those Lee Valley ones, they work well but if a chisel is too thick and you push it on it will snap, yet keep on workin'. The plastic is too hard and the design too thin inside, there should be several choices for different types of chisels.
But, in order not to pay so much for them AND shipping (combined) I suggest go to two different stores, pool supply for coping (long clip-on ribbing for above ground pools, holds the lining on), and a genuine photographic supply store for black darkroom tape of 1" width. This is "like" duct tape of cloth but much finer, with a better adhesive for this kind of thing. The roll should cost anywhere from $6 to $12.
Decent home remedy:
Cut a piece of coping a little wider than the width of the chisel and neatly wrap with the tape twice or three, then push in the chisel to test, the tape can be reused if the coping isn't the correct width to allow it to stretch for taughtness. The deeper the coping is, the better. You can make a length going crosswise from under to above with a folded end as a finger tab that will tape onto the chisel just to hold the protector on. Not a good idea assemble this while the coping is on the chisel, you want the taughtness.
The coping I have is a stiff and hard polystyrene type, black. Maybe a soft type of plastc will not be deep enough. I paid around $0.70 each, 24".
Or sew your own out of leather, which I "want" to do and will probably never_get_to.
The coping is also great for hand saw teeth protection, especially if you can get it 48" long, so you can cut to size.
Good luck,
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

_________________________________

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anybody suggest tool rolls. Personally, I carve leather and can sew too, but for people that don't want to go that route, you can buy them.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pA613&cat=1,41504

And don't forget to get the correct type for the way you store your chisels i.e. pointing left, right, up, or down.
(Same idea as pointy stick plans)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Tool rolls are handy, though I don't like them. Personal preference but it always seems to me that it just takes up to much space when unrolled. My chisels are in a box with dividers. Can't roll around or get damaged.
wrote in message

henry wrote:

Two ready-made cheapos:
Hot glue gun. Quick, easy, and you can make them as thick or thin as you like. Be sure to coat the chisel with talc or oil or even some electricians tape so the glue won't stick (but easy enough to cut off if it does).
Take the thin plastic that you find on milk jugs, cut it into smaller pieces, get a heat gun, a pair of leather gloves, and go to it. The plastic turns transparent quickly and is than malleable. Do it outdoors and beware the fumes of that stuff.
On Mon, 22 May 2006 09:47:54 -0700, hylourgos opined:

Silicone caulk works too, and you don't burn your fingers when you mold it to shape. Put wax on the blade so it won't stick to the caulk during the cure.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net