Chips in the Finish

I'm making a small box for my daughter out of walnut, and after gluing the sides/ends, I found that the grain of the center piece was reversed from the others, and the plane took out some chips. What can I use to fill those chips or other small tearouts? I will probably do some kind of oil finish to the wood when done.
To clarify, each side is made up of 3 walnut pieces, about 2 inches wide, with 1/8 inch basswood/cherry between each walnut piece. I would like to keep all operations "power tool free", so power sanding is out. My wife has some objections to the dust as well.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Rich.....
rich wrote:

Forgot to mention, the chips seem too deep for a scraper. I have tried 100 grit on a metal T-Bar, and that looks to be a six week job! Do scrapers take off a fair bit of wood? I've only read about them, don't have one at this time. They seem more suited for taking out small ridges, and smoothing the finish. Am I wrong???
Regards,
Rich.....
rich wrote:

hook to take off a lot, or a thinner one with a small hook that isn't too aggressive. I use a LV scraper plane that can be set from super light cuts to quite aggressive. For a concave surface I use my French curve scraper.
Can't you find a place to use a ROS?
Dave
You can take off a surprising amount of wood with a scraper.