Chip collector for thickness planer??

I'm on the very verge of buying a Makita 12" thickness planer. Naturally I want a dust/chip collection system for this. I have a very small shop and I will never have a table saw in the shop. In fact the only other large power tool I have is a bandsaur.

So the dust collection system needs to be large enough to handle the planer and that's all.

Question:

What size do I need for a 12" planer? And what performance value matters? CF/M?

though most of my work is small, I will occasionally plane down wide oak boards. So the system has to be sized for that. It will be very near the planer so there' sno duct loss issues to worry about.

Thanks for any info you may have.

--- Gregg

My woodworking projects:

of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

FAQ with photos:

"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558

Reply to
Gregg Germain

I've got a 12" planer. My 650 CFM dust collecter gets virtually 100% of the chips.

Reply to
Roy Smith
650CFM should work nicely.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

My 650 gets it all. I find that the planer will fill up the bag real fast so I have a garbage can cyclone between the planer and the DC. It is far easier to empty than the DC bag.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

This will sound funny to some, but I have a Delta 13" planer and Since I did not yet have my "Dust" chip collector in place I attached a glad garbage bag to the dust port with an old rubber glove (lol) Chips spit out directly into the bag and was easy cleanup. Hey.... worked for me.

John

Reply to
John

Gregg Germain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cfanews.cfa.harvard.edu:

For my 12 1/2" Delta planer, so far I'm just using my shop vac. It seems to catch just about everything (though, as others have mentioned, it fills up very quickly).

Reply to
Dan Brown

I have the same setup with a 1200.

The trash can cyclone is the key. I donate my chips to a local elementary school for the small class animals.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I run Grizzly's little 500 CFM (1HP) unit with a cyclone and it keeps up, though barely I've made cans and cans of chips with that little thing....the neighbours are starting to wonder why their garden mulch seems to get brighter in the middle of the night :).

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Gregg Germain wrote

I have two used two collectors with my 12 inch planer: a little Gizzly (G1163 model) that claims 450 CFM and a somewhat bigger Jet model rated for 650 CFM . They both work perfectly for this job; the smaller one with its horizontal format is definitely easier to store. Whichever you get, it's worth springing for decent flex hose, not the cheapo stuff that is stiff and hard to control.

Reply to
Woodstock

On my Powermatic portable planner, I use my $39. shop vac. Works great.

Reply to
Over40pirate