chip collection during planing operation

I am thickness planing a lot of poplar using a Jet planer/molder. It is attached to a 1.5 HP JDS dust collector via an 8 foot flex hose. My ty pical cut is from 1/16 to 1/8 inch. The planer seems to jam with chips a lo t and require that I stop planing and clean out the head of the planer and the hose.

The jet chip deflectors are set (as recommended by Jet)to about 1/8 in ch from the blades (front and back). Of course, we are generating chips, n ot saw dust. Is the solution to set the chip deflectors further from the h ead to allow larger chips to pass or, to get rid of the flex hose and hook the planer to a pvc pipe connected directly to the JDS unit ( a short flex hose would be needed to prevent the vibration from the planer being transmi tted to the collector.)

Anybody out there had the problem and solved it?

Len

Reply to
Len

I am thickness planing a lot of poplar using a Jet planer/molder. It is attached to a 1.5 HP JDS dust collector via an 8 foot flex hose. My typical cut is from 1/16 to 1/8 inch. The planer seems to jam with chips a lot and require that I stop planing and clean out the head of the planer and the hose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Try setting the cut to 3/64 or 1/16 max and see what happens.

Sounds like the system in in borderline mode.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

+1

Try also to clean filters on DC and I try to avoid anything except the shortest connection to machine possible being flex hose; the airflow loss in it is horrendous.

Not familiar enough w/ the Jet to know how well it's collection hood is designed as to whether it's a problem or not--some I've seen are pretty bad being nothing but a deadhead plate w/ a hole in the middle. May want to see if can help there some, too.

1/8" on a wide piece is quite a lot of volume for a small DC, though...it should handle 1/16" ok I'd think.
Reply to
dpb

My typical cut is from 1/16 to 1/8 inch. The planer seems to jam with chips a lot and require that I stop planing and clean out the head of the planer and the hose.

Is the solution to set the chip deflectors further from the head to allow larger chips to pass or, to get rid of the flex hose and hook the planer to a pvc pipe connected

directly to the JDS unit ( a short flex hose would be needed to prevent the vibration from the planer being transmitted to the collector.)

I think your DC is marginal and probably not enough for this situation. Also you are taking off a LOT of material! I use a Delta 15" planer and seldom go as much as 1/16 and with a 1100 CFM DC, no problems. FWIW I am going through 30' of flex hose.

I suggest you simply take off less material until you reach a level that your DC can handle. Or get a higher capacity DC.

Reply to
Leon

Assuming this is the 1.5 HP floor model planer/molder, I have the same one and use a 1.5 HP Delta dust collector. I've not had this problem with the deflectors set as recommended. If you are running the planer at the fast feed rate I suggest trying it at the slow feed rate... As it is now the chip production rate exceeds the airflow's ability to carry the chips away... at the low feed speed the balance between chips and air flow should be fine. Alternatively get a bigger dust collector with bigger piping!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Never had that problem. My planer is on a two-wheeled stand (imagine a two-wheeled wheelbarrow). I roll it out behind the shop and plane away. My chip collection is a leaf rake and a large trash barrel.

Reply to
G. Ross

Len,

I have a Delta planer and a 1.5HP JDS "Dust Force" dust collector. I wheel the dust collector close to the planer, then use a 10' long flex hose (4") with a 90 degree elbow at the planer.

I never had any problems with the planer clogging, but I would frequently get clogging at the dust collector. It was especially bad with soft woods like pine or cedar. I would have to stop after every pass through the planer and clean the shavings out of the hose at the dust collector.

I solved the problem by cutting out the protective "X" on the planer inlet. The long shavings would wrap around that "X" and quickly block the air flow. Once I removed the cross guard I can plane as much as I want without clogging. It was easy to cut out the thin sheet metal guard with the wire cutter on my electrician pliers.

Of course, the guard is there to protect the impeller in the dust collector from large debris. I never produce anything more than sawdust or planer shavings so it is not a problem for me.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Problem solved.

Those of you who voted for the dust collector get an A+. It seems tha t rotating the handle on the filter does not always do the job of cleaning the pleats in the filter. I rotate the paddles a couple of times in each work session. The paddles are about 8 inches wide. The filter is about 3 f eet tall. The 8 inches under the paddles had sawdust packed into the pleat s. The remainder had a lot of sawdust in the pleats - just not packed in t ightly.

I took the filter to the driveway today along with an air hose and gav e it (the filter) a good thrashing. In the sunlight you can even see light through the filter now. Re-installed the filter on the dust collector a nd it works! I think JDS has to re-think their filter cleaning mechanism!

In any case, I now know that, even as a hobbyist, I need to clean the dammed thing every month.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Len

Reply to
Len

If the cleaning system is not working I would agree that they need to rethink. LOL

My paddle style cleaner on my Jet DC seems to work, the filter will be 8 years old on the 13th of this month.

Reply to
Leon

Len,

I am happy to hear cleaning your filter solved your problem.

My JDS Dust Force collector has a large filter bag instead of a pleated filter. I have never cleaned it other than giving it a few taps before changing the collection bag at the bottom. I do it mostly so I don't get a bunch of sawdust dropping out when I'm changing the collection bag.

I haven't actually "cleaned" my filter bag in the last few years since I bought the dust collector. As I understand it, the filtration is better once a small layer of sawdust builds up inside the bag.

Take care,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

attached to a 1.5 HP JDS dust collector via an 8 foot flex hose. My typic al cut is from 1/16 to 1/8 inch. The planer seems to jam with chips a lot a nd require that I stop planing and clean out the head of the planer and the hose.

inch from the blades (front and back). Of course, we are generating chips, not saw dust. Is the solution to set the chip deflectors further from the head to allow larger chips to pass or, to get rid of the flex hose and hoo k the planer to a pvc pipe connected directly to the JDS unit ( a short fle x hose would be needed to prevent the vibration from the planer being trans mitted to the collector.)

I just spoke to a representative of JDS. He said that the pleated filter s hould be taken off the dust collector every 6 months to a year and given a thorough cleaning. A shop vac works well for the cleaning job. I guess I m issed that information (not in the manual) and caused my own grief!

Len

Reply to
Len